Jean dyes transfering to leather seats

Okay, I've had a lot of cars and have never seen this happen before. I bought a 2007 SEL plus in August. It has the cream/tan leather seats. I pretty much wear jeans every day to work. They're not new jeans, they've been washed over and over. Well, I noticed the other day that my drivers seat is turning blue and looks horrible. I've never seen this happen and haven't had a chance to try to clean it off yet. Has anyone had this problem with their Edge or any other vehicle. I'm taking it by the dealership today for the first oil change, so I was planning on asking about what they recommend to clean it with.

Should I just get a seat cover if I can get the blue off?

I recall this being a big issue with the white seats in the Thunderbird when they were new (2002). Do a search for "leather seat discoloration jeans" and find out how to clean and protect the seats. A lot of stuff will harm the leather.

Check the owner's manual for leather care. Your Ford dealer has cleaners and protectants that the Ford engineers approve for the leather in our vehicles. Motorcraft.com has Ford chemical product descriptions.

Good luck -

Okay, I've had a lot of cars and have never seen this happen before. I bought a 2007 SEL plus in August. It has the cream/tan leather seats. I pretty much wear jeans every day to work. They're not new jeans, they've been washed over and over. Well, I noticed the other day that my drivers seat is turning blue and looks horrible. I've never seen this happen and haven't had a chance to try to clean it off yet. Has anyone had this problem with their Edge or any other vehicle. I'm taking it by the dealership today for the first oil change, so I was planning on asking about what they recommend to clean it with.

Should I just get a seat cover if I can get the blue off?

Hi atomicleda. :D Yes, it is a common problem, and the lighter the color of the leather, the more noticeable it is. It is just a transference of dye residue and contaminants. It will clean up just fine with a good quality leather cleaner and conditioner.

I have an MKZ with the Light Stone Interior (a very light gray leather) and have the same problem. My Cougar has a darker gray leather, and it takes longer to notice, but still happens.

There is nothing wrong with the leather in your car. You are just seeing a dye transfer from your jeans. It happens with mine when I wear my black jeans, after a few weeks, you can begin to see black discoloration in the "high traffic" areas of the seat.

As far as a seat cover, well, that is up to you. I just clean mine periodically (as we all should do with leather anyway). My philosophy is why cover up my good looking leather seats. When they need cleaning, I just clean them.

I use "Meguiar's" Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. I also use "Tanners Preserve" Leather Cleaner and "Tanners Preserve" Leather Conditioner. Motorcraft's leather care products are good. You can also get good quality leather care products from "Mother's" and "Lexol". There are also other good brand names, but these are the ones I favor.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi atomicleda. :D Yes, it is a common problem, and the lighter the color of the leather, the more noticeable it is. It is just a transference of dye residue and contaminants. It will clean up just fine with a good quality leather cleaner and conditioner.

I have an MKZ with the Light Stone Interior (a very light gray leather) and have the same problem. My Cougar has a darker gray leather, and it takes longer to notice, but still happens.

There is nothing wrong with the leather in your car. You are just seeing a dye transfer from your jeans. It happens with mine when I wear my black jeans, after a few weeks, you can begin to see black discoloration in the "high traffic" areas of the seat.

As far as a seat cover, well, that is up to you. I just clean mine periodically (as we all should do with leather anyway). My philosophy is why cover up my good looking leather seats. When they need cleaning, I just clean them.

I use "Meguiar's: Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. I also use "Tanners Preserve" Leather Cleaner/Tanners Preserve Leather Conditioner. Motorcraft's leather care products are good. You can also get good quality leather care products from "Mother's" and "Lexol". There are also other good brand names, but these are the ones I favor.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Thank you so much! This is the first time I've ever seen this happen and I was afraid to try to clean it until I was sure.