Quick Pull When Shifting

Michael Price

A few months ago I bought a 2007 Edge SEL and started to notice that between 40 and 60 mph (and occasionally other times) when it's about to shift it will briefly pull to the left. Almost like a gust of wind takes it and then goes right back to driving normal (that's the best way I can describe it). At times the pull is significant and others it barely noticeable. I haven't yet taken it in to a mechanic I was just wondering if anyone out here has had a similar problem or would have an idea as to what it might be?

I'd have to point to the usual culprits first:

needs alignment

needs roadforce balancing

check wheels & tires for out-of-round and uneven wear

Because you notice it at a particular speed, there is a remote possibility of a wheel bearing or an axle/CV joint maybe starting to stick on one side causing that pull.

AWD or FWD?

AWD. I'll take a look at the tires and have the alignment checked and the tires balanced this weekend depending on time. I have noticed a light clunk (at times not very often) when turning couldn't that be CV joint as well? I'm a bit of a noob just trying to learn as I go. I appreciate the response!

I'd definitely check the CV joint, but clunks can be control arms or stabilizer end links etc also. My concern is that since you have AWD, you have a PTU. You should check the PTU for any signs of leaks or overflow. Eliminate the possibility that what you are experiencing is an early warning sign. It is probably time to at least R&R the fluid anyway.