2015 Ford Edge Wheel Question

guard

I just took delivery of a new 2015 Edge SEL AWD 3.5 V6.

I really do like this Edge.

This is a dealer ordered vehicle.

One of the options on the vehicle is the "18 inch Brushed Aluminum Wheels" ($895).

These are very nice looking wheels. If I had ordered the vehicle would I have sprung for the $895 option ? Probably not.

My question(s) :

Why are these brushed aluminum wheels 900 bucks more over the standard painted aluminum wheels ?

Are these wheels clear coated ?

Does the brushed aluminum hold up better than the painted aluminum ?

How and with what do I clean these wheels ?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Are these wheels clear coated ?

Without seeing them in person, I'd say yes. Any brushed aluminum wheels I've had in the past have been clear coated.

Does the brushed aluminum hold up better than the painted aluminum ?

If you take care of your wheels, they'll all hold up the same. What I mean is, don't let brake dust linger too long and clean them regularly.

How and with what do I clean these wheels ?

Clean these wheels like you'd clean any wheels. Use a car wash soap with a towel, soft brush, or mitt. Rinse off. Apply a spray wax while drying for a little protection and to make it easier to clean in the future. Make sure to clean when they are cool. If brake dust collects and is not coming off with a car soap and towel, then buy a product from the store that is "Safe on all wheels" that is more aggressive than a regular soap.

To clean the wheels I use Sonax Wheel Cleaner. Stuff works great. I also put a coat of wax on the wheels. I think it helps a little to keep it clean. We get a ton of salt on our roads in the winter and and trying to make sure the wheels do not get corroded is difficult no matter how much I can clean them.

To clean the wheels I use Sonax Wheel Cleaner. Stuff works great. I also put a coat of wax on the wheels. I think it helps a little to keep it clean. We get a ton of salt on our roads in the winter and and trying to make sure the wheels do not get corroded is difficult no matter how much I can clean them.

Sonax is great stuff if regular soap isn't working. Acid free and safe for all wheels. And pretty cool that it turns red as it cleans.