Disapointed in 2008 Edge Navigation - Least of all with POI's

Tiffany

First I am an engineer, and a electronics bug.

I have had a ton of GPS, every make and I have had them in all my cars since they have been out.

I currently have a 2008 Honda civic (8 Million POI's) and a 2008 Ford Edge, both have NAVI.

Most all OEM NAVI system sold with car have about 6-8 millions Points of Interest.

FORD IS THE ONLY ONE WITH A MEASLY 1.5 million... :cry:

I found this out today trying to find a target or Kmart store.

FORD I know Navteq sell you the data, WHY BE CHEAP...PLEASE PLEASE ADD MORE POI's. I would not mine paying a bit more.

THIS IS A MAJOR TURN OFF IN MY NEW EDGE...

Edited by Tiffany

did you make sure you have the latest Navteq DVD - will say 6p on it (printed right on DVD). You likely do if you have a 2008 - but I have seen a drawer full of them at the dealers and they often do not even know what they are grabbing as they reach in and you might have gotten an older DVD set than 6p?

update: you got me interested and I went searching on the POS facts for the 6p DVD and sure enough, only 1.57 million...

This DVD map update contains coverage across the continental United States and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. It contains over 6.06 million miles of road and features more than 1.57 million updated points-of-interest including over:

449,700 restaurants

68,700 hotels

103,800 banks

108,000 ATMs

90,800 gas stations

245,600 auto service & maintenance locations

14,900 tourist attractions

Edited by Lex Talionis

did you make sure you have the latest Navteq DVD - will say 6p on it (printed right on DVD). You likely do if you have a 2008 - but I have seen a drawer full of them at the dealers and they often do not even know what they are grabbing as they reach in and you might have gotten an older DVD set than 6p?

update: you got me interested and I went searching on the POS facts for the 6p DVD and sure enough, only 1.57 million...

This DVD map update contains coverage across the continental United States and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. It contains over 6.06 million miles of road and features more than 1.57 million updated points-of-interest including over:

449,700 restaurants

68,700 hotels

103,800 banks

108,000 ATMs

90,800 gas stations

245,600 auto service & maintenance locations

14,900 tourist attractions

Yes, I have 6P

Thank you for findingt this info. Yes, look at the other auto makers and your will see FORD has the poorest of all for features too.

Edited by Tiffany

Ford's nav system won at least one award last year.

I sold Acuras for a while(highest regarded nav systems) and the Ford one has a much more useful interface, better voice to road names by far and is very good prompting the correct turn on areas like access roads where there are a lot of entrances. Personally I don't use nav's because I know where I'm going, but I've driven hundreds of different cars with them(including an 07 CLS550 to lunch today) and I really like the Ford interface much better then anything from BMW/MB/Acura/Infinity and the like. Personally I think the Toyota and Honda ones are like simple Clarion units they don't even develop, they just dump them in the dash like it was from Best Buy. I'll have to see if the local Targets and Kmarts show up on them next time I drive something with it.

Edited by kevinb120

I have used the Nav and find it works perfectly..

Besides which of the 5 miilion POIs that you do not have, will you not use?

Do you need all of them? How many are truly valuable?

oh my.. what did we do without a NAV and POI directory? - Get out the CAA/AAA triptik and trip books.

Edited by Edgy Girl

I have used the Nav and find it works perfectly..

Besides which of the 5 miilion POIs that you do not have, will you not use?

Do you need all of them? How many are truly valuable?

oh my.. what did we do without a NAV and POI directory? - Get out the CAA/AAA triptik and trip books.

well as a girl, I love to shop shop and shop..

I have a hand held garmin, and when I was driving around a new town saturday, my ford gps did not have one store, expept for the major malls in the area. but, it would be nice to find a StarbucK, TARGETS AND WAL-FARTS. PLEASE

well as a girl, I love to shop shop and shop..

I have a hand held garmin, and when I was driving around a new town saturday, my ford gps did not have one store, expept for the major malls in the area. but, it would be nice to find a StarbucK, TARGETS AND WAL-FARTS. PLEASE

I have the same disappointment with the comparatively small amount of POI data in the Ford system. I rarely can find data for the stores I am looking for, in sharp contrast to my experience with a $300 portable Lowrance (iWay 350) unit that I used for several years. With that unit, I was constantly amazed that even the smallest and most obscure locations were in the database. I expect that the DVD data medium is limited compared to the small hard drives contained in may of the portable units, but I would think Ford and Navitec could break the coverage area into several smaller geographic areas, reducing the size of the map data and allowing more space for a larger POI database. Since few of us drive in all parts of the US, this would seem to make sense. For now, I carry my handheld with me to find locate those places not covered by the Ford unit, and find I am using it most of the time.

The small POI database is even more of a disappointment that the inability for a passenger (navigator) to manipulate the GPS while the vehicle is in motion. I know this is meant to prevent the driver from trying to work with the unit while driving, but this is the only unit I've used that doesn't allow an override.

Otherwise, I like the unit and think the human interface design is great.

I sold Acuras for a while(highest regarded nav systems) and the Ford one has a much more useful interface, better voice to road names by far and is very good prompting the correct turn on areas like access roads where there are a lot of entrances. Personally I don't use nav's because I know where I'm going, but I've driven hundreds of different cars with them(including an 07 CLS550 to lunch today) and I really like the Ford interface much better then anything from BMW/MB/Acura/Infinity and the like. Personally I think the Toyota and Honda ones are like simple Clarion units they don't even develop, they just dump them in the dash like it was from Best Buy. I'll have to see if the local Targets and Kmarts show up on them next time I drive something with it.

I have a 2006 Infiniti M35, and the "points of interest" info on the Nav system is pretty limited, too. I'd much rather use the Internet access on my cell phone to find nearby points of interest. Windows Live Search and Google work pretty well for those purposes.

It's huge bummer that you get prevented from use while driving - esp if a passenger could not handle those "duties"

However, in the age of the "lawsuit" - I'm sure some of the legal team advised it - afterall, it only takes 1 to spoil it for the rest of us.

funny that this same issue/concern does not effect all the thousands of after-market GPS devices sitting stuck to peoples windshields (which is illegal in CA actually)... you can manipulate those while driving, both driver and passenger, but no overrides on these built-ins. My Dads Lexus is the same.. no use while driving.. so you must pull over and make a change and start driving again = PITA. I would think they would understand that many drive with passengers who are capable of being the navigator and making on the fly changes.. so an override would be obvious.

Hand held devices are not designed into a vehicle and are not sold by the vehicle mfr, therefore it is unlikely that Garmin could be held liable for a vehicle accident. Auto mfrs, OTOH, are extremely vulnerable thanks to stupid juries that blame the big companies and require absolutely no personal responsibility.

Voice controls work fine. The only restriction is that you can't enter a new destination which requires typing the address, looking at a list, etc - not things you want to do while driving. You can choose a pre-entered destination.

Hand held devices are not designed into a vehicle and are not sold by the vehicle mfr, therefore it is unlikely that Garmin could be held liable for a vehicle accident. Auto mfrs, OTOH, are extremely vulnerable thanks to stupid juries that blame the big companies and require absolutely no personal responsibility.

Voice controls work fine. The only restriction is that you can't enter a new destination which requires typing the address, looking at a list, etc - not things you want to do while driving. You can choose a pre-entered destination.

I also have a now honda civic with navi, and it is full control by voice including number and street names, super

and you can do it by touch pad EVEN IF THE VEHICLE IS MOVING...COOL

I also have a now honda civic with navi, and it is full control by voice including number and street names, super

and you can do it by touch pad EVEN IF THE VEHICLE IS MOVING...COOL

Honda's lawyers haven't dealt with some of the lawsuits that Ford's lawyers have. Maybe they'll loosen up if the competition is doing it.