Edge lease return - penalty?

blu by u

So I've had my Edge since Sept and really enjoy it.

I put quite a few miles on and the one area I'm not happy with is its milage. Gas is possibly going up to $1.30 - 1.40/litre this summer and if it does, I don't want this vehicle.

Anyone have experience taking back a leased vehicle prior to its end date? I know this may vary from region to region but I'm in western Canada.

Thx

I put quite a few miles on and the one area I'm not happy with is its milage. Gas is possibly going up to $1.30 - 1.40/litre this summer and if it does, I don't want this vehicle.

Anyone have experience taking back a leased vehicle prior to its end date? I know this may vary from region to region but I'm in western Canada.

Thx

I think Ford will take the lease back 2-3 months early (or extend it a few months) if you're getting another Ford vehicle. I don't think they'll take it back this quickly without a major penalty. You'd most likely have to find someone to take over the lease.

What would you replace it with and how much do you think you'd actually save? You may not save enough on gas to make it worthwhile. Just make sure to do the math based on estimated MPG and number of miles driven.

Many people got rid of vehicles that require premium fuel because of the cost, but they probably spent thousands of dollars more when in reality they were only saving a few dollars per week. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I think Ford will take the lease back 2-3 months early (or extend it a few months) if you're getting another Ford vehicle. I don't think they'll take it back this quickly without a major penalty. You'd most likely have to find someone to take over the lease.

What would you replace it with and how much do you think you'd actually save? You may not save enough on gas to make it worthwhile. Just make sure to do the math based on estimated MPG and number of miles driven.

Many people got rid of vehicles that require premium fuel because of the cost, but they probably spent thousands of dollars more when in reality they were only saving a few dollars per week. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I haven't made my mind up yet on the lease aspect.

As for the potential savings of obtaining a different car, I don't understand your response... There are thousands of vehicles that are less expensive and better on fuel than the Edge so I doubt there's much "math" invloved there. Is there not a direct co-relation between the potential number of miles I'm going to drive, my fuel economy, the cost of fuel and my overall potential savings? Yeah, I think so... and I don't need to replace it with a Kia to get that.

Again, I didn't buy the Ege to save a few pennies and I did have other choices but I really enjoy it. I own my own business and travel quite a bit so the cost and expenses of my vehicle play a factor in in my P&L statements as those costs are directly mine. In 4 months, I have put on 20,000 kms.

I bought it knowing I wasn't going to get 45MPG but if gas does go through the roof as rumor has it, I'm just looking and considering my opions.

Edited by blu by u

Thx

Well not only do I work for a Ford dealer but I am the lease manager in western Canada so I can answer the question for you. You can bring a lease back to Ford at anytime....BUT...the contract has to be paid out or the Edge has to be bought back by the dealer. When a dealer says we can take care of the payments if you get another one...someone is paying for the last payments, most of the time its the customer. Sometime Ford will offer rebates to pull customers out of there lease's early but its not happening as often now. One way to get out of a lease really early is to get someone else to take it over and then they can finish off the lease and you can get something else. Let me know if this answers your question.

The cost of returning the your EDGE early will negate any savings on gas you think you may get with something more economical.

A lease take-over is an ok option, depending on your lease companies terms for that.

Understood. I don't think it would be a challenge to find someone to take over the lease if it came to that. If it would cost thousands to return it, I certainly wouldn't choose that option.

If it would cost thousands to return it, I certainly wouldn't choose that option.

It will. You'll have to find someone to take over the lease.

What I meant was don't pay thousands of dollars to get out of the lease (or sell a car you're buying and take a huge hit in depreciation) just to save hundreds on fuel. If you're also going with a cheaper car then that might offset it a lot more or since you drive so many miles your break even point will be a lot sooner.

Awesome idea thanks!! I just need to find something Canadian related as it seems this is a US based program.

There are a few sites like leasebusters.com and leaseboyz.com but the best is craig's list and it doesn't cost a penny or even your local paper. I know the websites cost $$$ and they don't always work but the paper or craig's list have worked really well for others I have helped.

There are a few sites like leasebusters.com and leaseboyz.com but the best is craig's list and it doesn't cost a penny or even your local paper. I know the websites cost $$$ and they don't always work but the paper or craig's list have worked really well for others I have helped.

Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice.

Steve