Transmission

rmmpe

This may have been addressed before but I thought I'd offer/ask comments/observations/questions:

It seems the Edge/MKX transmission is "adaptive" insofar as it acts like it learns a driving style. Especially so when descending a hill or slowing down.

When the OD is turned off, tapping the brake pedal causes the trans to shift down, controlling (more or less) the rate of deceleration. In lieu of being able to manually select transmission gears, this is, for me, a nice capability. Is this a "Hill descent" feature?

Also, as the engine is not large by any definition and has marginal low-end torque (the old Cubes=Torque ploy), the engine/trans combo gets very busy when driving country roads. Especially so when using cruise control. Although it made no real difference when I 1st got the car last week, I found that, after only 500 miles of driving it, if I manually/gently use the accelerator, the engine won't down-shift nearly as much when ascending fairly gentle grades. Has the transmission learned my driving style here?

Am I imagining all this or is the trans really adaptive (like the Allison 6 speed in my MH)?

Regardless, I am well-pleased with this new acquisition and actually like it better than the 2004 Navigator I traded in for it at nearly a wash.

I can't say for sure about the Edge/MKX tranny as that's new but in the past Ford's transmissions would only learn the proper shift pressures at certain RPM and throttle positions. This would allow it to adjust for manufacturing tolerances and wear over time. If a shift takes too long it increases the pressure for the next one until it fits the factory spec. Same for shifts that are too fast. They did not "learn" the driver's style.

It's possible the 6F in the Edge/MKx does that but I really doubt it.

Kirby,

I suspect your doubt the 6F tranny in the Edge/MKx has an adaptive feature is accurate. But, I have noticed a change in the shifting since I bought it Certified used last week (at 12,020 miles). In the 1,000 miles I've driven it, the trans doesn't hunt nearly as much now as it did when I 1st got it. Some of this, I'm sure, is because I've learned a bit about the shift patterns. Also, as is usual, it gets considerably better MPG by foot rather than when using cruise-control (27.5 vs. 25.2); probably because Humans can be more gentle on the pedal and anticipate hills whereas the cruise-control is reactionary; which will cause more frequent down-shifting.

The ability to make the trans shift down when out of O/D is nice (have you noticed this)? But, I would have much preferred the ability to actively select gears simply by tapping the shifter like with Hyundai, Toyota and Jeep transmissions. There's certainly enough room on the information center to indicate which gear the trans is in. All my other Fords at least had a #2 position.

Having had 9 Ford vehicles in the 20 years Ford's been serious about quality ("Quality is Job 1"), I am pleased with the Edge as well. I traded a 2004 Navigator in on it and aside from a few relatively unimportant features (to me), the Edge SEL has it beat.

Good job, Ford.

Now fix the :censored: transmission.

It looks like the transmission really is adaptive, as stated in the 2008 Edge sales brochure.

At least there's some relief that I may be losing it.

Good job on that. But, it still needs a way to select gears manually.

Does the brochure just say "adaptive" or does it explain it in more detail? When Ford says "adaptive" they usually mean the logic that I described about adjusting the shift pressures for perfect shift response, not adapting to driving styles.

I have an '08 MKX and the maual has a section titled "Automatic Transaxle Adaptive Learning" The manual states: "Your tranxaxle is equipped with an adaptive learning strategy found in the vehicle computer. This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transaxle may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is considered normal and will not affect the durability of the transaxle. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update transaxle operation. Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the strategy must be relearned."

This does not really say how or what it "learns" but I know the shifting in our MKX is extremely smooth.

I have an '08 MKX and the maual has a section titled "Automatic Transaxle Adaptive Learning" The manual states: "Your tranxaxle is equipped with an adaptive learning strategy found in the vehicle computer. This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of the vehicle. A new vehicle or transaxle may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is considered normal and will not affect the durability of the transaxle. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update transaxle operation. Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the strategy must be relearned."

This does not really say how or what it "learns" but I know the shifting in our MKX is extremely smooth.

Of course it does. It says "provide consistent shift feel over the life of the vehicle" which is exactly what I described. I know the person who supervised the calibration of many of Ford's transmissions and he explained how this works. There is a table in the PCM (computer) that says what shift pressure to use for each shift and at different RPM and throttle position. The software compares the time it takes to complete each shift with the factory specs and adjusts the pressure if necessary to keep the shift times in spec.

There is no mention of adjusting to individual drivers or driving styles. Of course different drivers with different styles will exercise different parts of the shift pressure tables (WOT vs. half throttle, etc.) so it may feel different from one driver to the next but that's just a side effect of the learning strategy.

I do not question the comments about how the transmission shifts. But I am still thinking the transmission has learned to NOT shift under light pedal pressure when ascending hills.

The Allison transmission in our Coach is adaptive and has "learned" (data sampling) a bit about my driving style. Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I am more satisfied now than when I 1st got the car.

I do not question the comments about how the transmission shifts. But I am still thinking the transmission has learned to NOT shift under light pedal pressure when ascending hills.

The Allison transmission in our Coach is adaptive and has "learned" (data sampling) a bit about my driving style. Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I am more satisfied now than when I 1st got the car.

I'm 90% sure that's all pre-programmed at the factory and there are other factors that may have caused it to shift differently now than before. But I don't know for sure.

Hi Kirb,

Overall, excepting 2 things, I am happy with the trans, they being the absence of a manner to select gears and the "sloppiness" of the lower gear shifting, which I'd like to be more "crisp/positive".

I am a bit surpised that nobody from Ford has offered any comments here.

Thanks for your input.

I don't think this is something the average Ford employee would know. I only know because I met a former Ford transmission engineer online several years ago and got a lot of inside scoop on how this stuff works. And all of the info I got was shared on a private forum and not in public so I don't expect you'd get much here either way.

Overall, excepting 2 things, I am happy with the trans, they being the absence of a manner to select gears and the "sloppiness" of the lower gear shifting, which I'd like to be more "crisp/positive".

If you don't like the smoothness of the tranny I suggest you look into a SCT program: One of many SCT Program Dealers

It will give you more direct shifts that you will really feel a bang each time.

Got to take my SEL AWD to South Lake Tahoe for first time.. Just "SWEET" ...

Waited 20minutes at chain control going up Hwy 50 due to most autos putting on chains, a Lexus crossover was in front of us but they stop them to check if they had M+S tires but we were waived by with no problems(Go EDGE).. No problems, it handled superior to my 95 Explorer(days of engaging 4 x4 are over for me & what a blessing).

Best feature was dropping down into Lake Tahoe very steep grade, deactivated my overdrive by pressing the switch on the gear shift & Grade Assist kick in, touch my brakes once not like my Explorer stepping on the brakes & lowering into different gear(I always thought I was burning my brakes with its weight & hearing the gear wine)..Got to say it took control & it was the best ride I ever took down that grade.. My Edge was full of sludge & grime when I got it back to bay area.. time for a wash... Very Sweet in the Snow.. well worth the AWD,,,