Can I wait?

Janis

I was wondering if I can wait untill spring to take my Edge in for the seal leak. I can put up with the smell untill then. Will it hurt anything if I dont do it right away, I have had it since last July. I just dont want to give up my Edge during the Snow season, it is fantastic in the snow!

Thanks, Janis

I assume that it is an oil leak? Just keep an eye on oil level, and you should be mechanically fine. Just don't get out of warranty before you take it in. If you are taking it to the dealer for regular service, have them take a look at it when it's on the rack. If they are anything like my local dealer, they wont have the part and will have to order it. So that way you can have them order the part and then they will have it on hand the next time you take it in.

Also, oil leaks can cause a mess under the vehicle. If they are leaking while driving down the road, it will slowly coat the underside of your vehicle, and if it gets bad enough the rear bumper and glass as well.

I would wait and not feel overly concerned. in reading about that seal, the issue needs to be dealt with for sure - and under warranty of course - but it is not leading to a catastrophic failure of the parts or a major safety issue. heck, there are likely thousands of people out there driving around clueless they have this issue and the car is functioning. so, I would wait and take it in when you feel you can as you seem to have a legit reason to wait. just act like you do not know about the issue until March :)

I was wondering if I can wait untill spring to take my Edge in for the seal leak. I can put up with the smell untill then. Will it hurt anything if I dont do it right away, I have had it since last July. I just dont want to give up my Edge during the Snow season, it is fantastic in the snow!

Thanks, Janis

I don't know. Since the smell is caused by leaking fluid, you're still leaking fluid and I know I'd want to get that fixed ASAP. I would check with the dealer and see what they have to say but I'd get it fixed.

Tony

I don't know. Since the smell is caused by leaking fluid, you're still leaking fluid and I know I'd want to get that fixed ASAP. I would check with the dealer and see what they have to say but I'd get it fixed.

Tony

yes, you are leaking fluid and yes, it should be fixed.... when is the question. but it is a matter of (1) degrees and (2) risk. The leaking fluid is minor leak really, not one that is reported to lead to a major failure of a part causing injury nor is it one where there was 100% fluid loss leaving bearing on bearing for example. Second, you have to look at the risk. She might feel that the risk of being without the car in snowy conditions is much higher than the risk of a minor leak being allowed to leak for a few more months and to then have it fixed under warranty. It ends up a judgement call. No one is saying or did say to not get it fixed, it is just merely a matter of prolonging it until she feels she can safely be without the car as it seems reports tend to lead you to believe this is not a 1 day fix and one should/could expect to be out of that car for many days.

yes, you are leaking fluid and yes, it should be fixed.... when is the question. but it is a matter of (1) degrees and (2) risk. The leaking fluid is minor leak really, not one that is reported to lead to a major failure of a part causing injury nor is it one where there was 100% fluid loss leaving bearing on bearing for example. Second, you have to look at the risk. She might feel that the risk of being without the car in snowy conditions is much higher than the risk of a minor leak being allowed to leak for a few more months and to then have it fixed under warranty. It ends up a judgement call. No one is saying or did say to not get it fixed, it is just merely a matter of prolonging it until she feels she can safely be without the car as it seems reports tend to lead you to believe this is not a 1 day fix and one should/could expect to be out of that car for many days.

FWIW ... I just had mine in for routine service and had the "burning smell" checked out. It was diagnosed as a defective power transfer unit (PTU) that was leaking fluid onto the exhaust system. I asked if it was a bad seal that needed to be replaced, and was informed that this was not a repairable part that would require a replacement of the entire PTU. The part was ordered, and I was told the car should not be driven until the fix was made. The car was at the dealer for a total of 7 days. All now appears to be fixed and working fine with no further burning smell.

Mine is a 2007 SEL+ AWD, in service since July. I first noticed the burning smell in September, and it continued to occur sporadically until I got it fixed two weeks abo.