Aftermarket Speakers No Amp

I would buy some Pioneer or Kenwood speakers that have high sensitivity db numbers in the 90 range.

Also I would not get speakers with rms power ratings that are more than 30 watts rms since the factory radio would not be able to push any speaker over 30 watts rms clearly.

I would try these for a start.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76466_Kenwood-KFC-C6865S.html

If you think you will get an amplifier later, then i would look into the higher wattage Kappa and Polk speakers for the best sound.

However, the factory radio amp just can not push them correctly.

Just my advice to save you from buying expensive speakers that will sound very low/distorted even at high volume when pushed only by the factory radio, but the cheaper Kenwood speakers will give you cleaner sound and work with the factory radio just fine.

Edited by carguy75

LOL.

I understand, hence why I just recommended the cheaper Kenwood speakers.

I have made the mistake of buying $100 door speakers(MB Quart)and installed them in a 2005 Volvo S40 thinking that the premium factory amp could push them, however the sound quality ended up being lower than with the stock speakers until I added a matching MB Quart 4-channel amp.

After the amp install the MB Quart sounded 1000 times better than the stock speakers, but lesson learned about adding high power quality speakers to factory systems even with amplifiers since most factory amps only push about 30-40watt max rms a channel at the most unless you have a Harmon Kardon or so other higher-end stock system like the Sony version in the Edge.

A good rule of thumb is to divide the published stock radio wattage by half, since most stock wattage numbers are peak ratings.

By dividing the listed stock wattage by half you are closer to the rms rating which is the more accurate power rating when deciding what speakers to use.

Therefore a 400 watt peak system is usually really a 200 watt rms system divided by the number of channels including the subwoofer.

So it would be close to 100 watts rms for the sub channel and about 25watts rms for the door speakers or 25wX4 + 100w.

I can not find the wattage for the basic and premium Edge sound systems, but the Sony sound option is listed to put out 390 rms power so it is a 800 peak system which is pretty good for a stock system and would be able to push the higher wattage speakers I assume.

http://www.myfordedge.com/specs/2011-ford-edge-technology.php

For basic low cost upgrades to most stock Edge radios without the Sony system it is best to just stick with the quality brand name speakers in the 20-30watt rms range with high sensitivity of 90+ db.

Just a bit of information for anyone reading this.

Edited by carguy75