2013 3 button Key fob - unlock button stopped working

I've done some reading here to try and find anything related but cannot.

I have a 2013 Edge SEL with 3 button key fob (I have two fobs). On one the unlock button stopped working. It was intermittent and then just stopped. The lock button works.

I checked the battery and it's fine.

It looks like from taking the battery out that there is no way to access the internal button area to try and see if anything can be done.

To get a new key and have it programmed at the dealer will cost about $200.

I tried finding an OEM key on ebay for example but according to the ebay parts compatibility checker, the 3 button remote is not compatible but the 4 button remote is. Yet I have read I should not get the 4 button remote because I have a 3 button remote.

However there are other sites out there which will sell a 3 button OEM key fob remote for $80.

I guess I have a few questions:

Before I buy a new key, I am wondering if somehow the key got unprogrammed and I should have the dealer try reprogramming it? Or is it fried?

If I get one of these OEM keys, it sounds like I can get it cut by a professional keysmith and there are steps I can take to program it using some sequence with turning the key in the ignition 8 times (etc). But if that's the case, can I do that with the two remotes I have even though one has a broken button?

Thanks for any info/help you can provide!

Could be something as simple as a bad button. Does the key start the car? If it does, I would get an EBay (or other website) key and do the self-programming. Once you determine that the EBay one work, pick up a couple more as back ups. This is the seller I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400502917806?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They screwed up the first time and sent me an empty shell for another car, but did send me the correct one when I told them.

First, get the key cut by someone you trust (preferably a automobile locksmith). Then you will have to do the owner's manual programming followed by the 8-second method for every remote key you have.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19198-need-a-new-key-fob-help-please/

• Like 1

Could be something as simple as a bad button. Does the key start the car? If it does, I would get an EBay (or other website) key and do the self-programming. Once you determine that the EBay one work, pick up a couple more as back ups. This is the seller I used:

Yes the key starts the car! Ok I will get one of those keys and go through this process and see if it can work. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Ok so I bought this key.

I had it cut and that worked.

Then I tried to program it.

So far following the instructions from this site and the ones on the key sellers site and trying some variations, so far I have only been able to program the buttons.

The key programming so it starts the car has not worked.

I need to maybe contact the key seller's support and take another look at the manual.

I used this procedure to program my key (I had to do the buttons separately):

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

I used this procedure to program my key (I had to do the buttons separately):

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

I tried this but so far no luck and I find it confusing. For this and the button program instructions, I think it means that "on" is the step just before actual ignition. That's how I have been doing it.

But I am wondering, after step 9, to see if the programming worked, you put the new key into the ignition, then attempt to start the car. Right?

In other words you don't attempt to use the key to start the ignition right after step 8, you have to go and do step 9, then put the key back in and try it. . .

I tried this but so far no luck and I find it confusing. For this and the button program instructions, I think it means that "on" is the step just before actual ignition. That's how I have been doing it.

But I am wondering, after step 9, to see if the programming worked, you put the new key into the ignition, then attempt to start the car. Right?

In other words you don't attempt to use the key to start the ignition right after step 8, you have to go and do step 9, then put the key back in and try it. . .

You go from Off to where the dash warning lights come on. Another slight twist will engage the starter.

I would try a 7-count for all the keys; that amount of time falls within the time needed for all three keys.

I can't remember exactly if I removed the new key after the time needed, but my gut is saying I did.

Double looking at your original post, does the new key have the same number of buttons as your old key? I listed the seller, but the link is for my 2007 3-button. You need whatever button count your old keys have. My step-daughter has a 2010 with a 4-button and I recently ordered this one for her:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381429819389?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the first link....

Double looking at your original post, does the new key have the same number of buttons as your old key? I listed the seller, but the link is for my 2007 3-button. You need whatever button count your old keys have. My step-daughter has a 2010 with a 4-button and I recently ordered this one for her:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381429819389?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the first link....

No I agonized over getting the right key just like someone else (candurin?) recently did and went back and forth to make sure I was getting the right key. Yes 3 buttons just as I have.