Sync vs. Sync 3 option : worth it ?

Rickyy

In my experience, totally worth it. I was shopping for an Edge Sport and was going to get a 2015 until I actually used Sync 3 - I waited on the 2016 in large part due to Sync 3 and couldn't be happier.

The Sync 3 system is far more responsive; it has a capacitive touch screen instead of a resistive touch screen, meaning that it can take multiple "inputs" at the same time. This allows for things like pinch-to-zoom on the map in addition to the added sensitivity and responsiveness.

Additionally, the Sync 3 system is going to last you longer - perhaps more important if you're purchasing than if you're leasing. Carplay/Android Auto are coming to Sync 3 later this year, which is nice.

I think he was asking about sync3 vs. sync, not sync3 vs. MFT.

Sync just gives you simple voice control and the ability to plug in a usb stick, phone or ipod to play music.

Sync 3 gives you the 8" touch screen, access to Siri for iphone/ipad users and future upgrades to support apple carplay and android auto plus the option of Factory navigation (must be purchased with the vehicle).

• Like 1

I think he was asking about sync3 vs. sync, not sync3 vs. MFT.

Sync just gives you simple voice control and the ability to plug in a usb stick, phone or ipod to play music.

Sync 3 gives you the 8" touch screen, access to Siri for iphone/ipad users and future upgrades to support apple carplay and android auto plus the option of Factory navigation (must be purchased with the vehicle).

After looking at the actual vehicle options page, you're totally right. Even more worth the upgrade, in this case!

• 1 month later...

can anyone provide any feedback using Sync3 vs Jeeps system or Kia/Hyundai Uconnect? I've only played with Sync for a few minutes, and wondering how it compares? its pretty frustrating that it wasn't ready for the 15 Edge, and even more that it won't upgrade-able. really the only big thing from keeping me getting a 15 edge.

currently have a 13 Escape with Sync, so familiar with the general system. i actually think it looks nicer than Sync3, but obviously lags in performance.

thanks!

You have Sync or MFT? Only had Sync3 in the MKX for a week or so but it is night and day above MFT. From the pictures I didn't really like the display colors but in real use I have no complaints. It's lightning fast, intuitive and it stays on the last screen selected (audio e.g.) instead of always going back to home. Voice recognition is improved and is much faster. I don't see how it could get any better other than being more customizable.

I have a Kia Sorento with the UVO system (Uconnect is the Chrysler product), a Mustang with SYNC, and I used to have an Edge with MFT. The UVO system is head and shoulders better than MFT although it is still lacking in some ways. In fact, MFT is one of the several reasons for ditching the Edge and getting the Sorento. The biggest drawback of the UVO system is that it can only display one section at a time (climate, audio, navigation). Even my Mustang can split the screen to show multiple sections at once. But the UVO navigation is much better, response to voice commands is at least usable and you don't have to go through multiple screens to do something simple like turn on the seat heaters (it has real physical buttons and knobs for climate and audio).

Overall I like the Mustang setup best for everyday use (even though I've given up on using voice commands) and the Sorento setup for trips where I'm using navigation (the Mustang nav isn't too bad but it's not as good).

I can't compare to SYNC 3 because I haven't tried it but I've heard good things about it and understand it's a huge improvement over MFT. Chrysler's Uconnect still tops most lists as the best domestic system but SYNC 3 has made significant gains in that area. I would not even consider buying another MFT equipped vehicle but I could be persuaded to look at SYNC 3.

• 1 month later...

MFT has treated me very well too. I think it is still one of the best infotainment in the market when I look at the likes of HondaLink etc.

The only issue I have is (and its not unique to MFT), it makes driving dangerous in its effort to make it safe.

It forces the driver to do enter the destination details etc. even when a passenger can do it easily.

And the driver can only do so using voice commands which ends up being a test of how good you can fake american ascent.

Irritating the driver doesnt make for safe driving.

With SYNC 3, you will have android auto or apple carplay. That should remove the need for entering directions in the car's system altogether.

Since your destination details are almost always in a mail, text, whatsapp etc., you will not need to read it from the phone and to the car.