What is in a Ford Tuneup for a 2011 Edge?

Tacyon

Over the past few weeks when I'd accelerate hard, I'd drop a cylinder and the check engine light would flash accompanied with vibrations and a commensurate drop in ponies. ~30 seconds into this and the cylinder would come back and the flash engine light would extinguish. This would could happen at "just warm" temps or full engine operating temps. Accelerating from 10mph to ?? or from 50mph to 75+mph. Not to worried I know what this probably is (spark plug) but not which one and if there is actually a secondary issue causing it. Last weekend (two back) whilst passing a coma victim it happened again only this time after the cylinder rejoined the party, the check engine light did not extinguish. Good, this means a stuck code for the mech to read.

Now, I've just crested my 85,000.0 miles so I realize that a tuneup is in order. When it was in for a warranty service the mechanic reported that the #6 coil had throw the code and he is going to replace it and its spark plug. And here is where I believe it got thick. (the snow that is) I was told that since the spark plugs have 85,000 on them, they have to work harder to make the spark and therefore this caused the coil pack to fail or at least attempt to fail and throw the code. Unless coil packs have somehow become very fragile or the gap was 2x's or there was no electrode left, I have to take this advice from the service writer with a grain of road salt.

Now this is all for well and good since at 85,000.0 miles it is in fact time for a tuneup. Mr Educated Experienced service writer, how much to my bill would this tuneup cost should I opt to have your people do while its here. $385.00 !! My response, ah .. no thank you.

Now, my question to the informed and educated and even possibly experienced forum community, what pray tell is included in the standard Ford Dealership tuneup of a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD 302A 3.5L SFI DOHC 6cyl?

"Whatever they feel like including." if factual, that seems like a pretty solid plan for supporting the Ford customers. Hmmm.

Well, you have to remember that Ford dealers are not owned by Ford - they're independent businesses and Ford has no control over what they charge or how they do maintenance or what they recommend to their customers. Many dealers still include stickers that recommend 3K mile oil changes.

Keep in mind service recommendations for maintenance are just that "recommendations" . As the old saying goes your mileage may vary. Depending on your driving conditions you may actually need to replace the plugs/coil before the 100k service recommendation. 85k miles is pretty good for plugs/coil.

If you think your dealer is charging to much first get in writing what they will actually be doing as part of the "tune up", call a few other shops and compare. At the end of the day if it's too much for you you do have the option of doing it yourself....

Appreciate the links ... I was asking for more of a "what do I need to replace to mimic a Ford tuneup?" I'm hearing plugs, PVC (since I'm in there), and clean TB plate.

The "how the hell to get to the rear bank of plugs is going to come in handy" for sure. But even with all that, I'm still a lot lower than the $385.00 they quoted me. That is a bit steep for labor for something I can do myself.