2012 Ford Edge Driver door AJAR warning light

Hi, we are big Ford fans, and we currently own two Ford Edge limited models. However, this "Driver door AJAR" warning light thing on our 2012 Ford Edge is driving me crazy.

About a year ago it first happened. No matter how many times I slammed the door, the warning light came on. If you ignore it and continue driving, you have to endure repeated dash warning messages, alarm tones ringing, and the doors will not lock. At night, the interior lights stay on for about a minute after you decide to start driving. In very dark areas, this has proven dangerous. And of course, as soon as you turn off the car ignition, it thinks the door is open, so the radio goes off, your phone disconnects from SYNCH, and the lights come back on.

We took it to a local dealership, who told us it was not a warranty item, and we paid over $500 to get it fixed! So, when it started happening again a few weeks ago, we took it back to the dealership. Guess what? They want another $500 to fix it again!

So we've been living with the inconvenience, distraction, and safety issues. We filed a complaint at SaferCar.gov. The link is here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/thankyou

The car battery has drained twice in the past few weeks. Just yesterday I was stuck with a dead car in the middle of a heavy rainstorm, trying to find someone who could help me push the car to where I could get a jump. I noticed that Ford Edges are a lot less exciting when they are completely dead.

Guess what else happens? When the car battery dies, the transmission locks in PARK. It took me two hours to figure out how to pry apart the little service panel beneath the transmission shifter, and to manually move the transmission into NEUTRAL so we could push it. Did I mention it was pouring rain? By that time I had to find other people to push and give me a jump, because my original merry band had disbanded. Fun, it was not.

I saw the posts about ordering another door latch and replacing it. I guess we'll try that.

Nick