Stages and status in the order processing

What are the various stages a custom order goes through ?

My dealer told me yesterday that my "order has been pulled by the factory and headed for build".

But I was expecting a VIN to be generated first, then a window sticker etc. So I am confused especially since its been only a week and I was not even expecting a VIN.

My understanding of the whole process so far is :

1) You request a custom build with the dealer

2) Dealer uploads the order in their system the following Monday/Tuesday

3) Ford analyses the build and approves/rejects it based on whether they can still take orders for that MY etc.

4) The manufacturing plant (Oakville, Canada) downloads the order

5) A VIN is generated for the car

6) Window sticker is generated

7) The car is built (in 2 days)

8) The car is shipped to the dealer

9) You pick the car from the dealer

Please correct if wrong. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

You said to correct you if you were wrong. You weren't wrong. :)

A couple of points to add though.

A special order is the same as any other dealer order except for the priority. If the dealer follows the rules then a retail (sold) order has a priority of 10-19 while stock orders are 20-99. When a dealer gets allocation Ford pulls the lowest priority order that can be built (sometimes a paint color or option isn't available that week) and schedules it. If a dealer has no allocation, your order doesn't get scheduled. If there are multiple orders with the same priority it goes by oldest order date first.

• Like 2

You said to correct you if you were wrong. You weren't wrong. :)

A couple of points to add though.

A special order is the same as any other dealer order except for the priority. If the dealer follows the rules then a retail (sold) order has a priority of 10-19 while stock orders are 20-99. When a dealer gets allocation Ford pulls the lowest priority order that can be built (sometimes a paint color or option isn't available that week) and schedules it. If a dealer has no allocation, your order doesn't get scheduled. If there are multiple orders with the same priority it goes by oldest order date first.

Awesome ! Never knew I could get something right on first try. Mom would be so happy :drool: