HID Retrofit Question: D3S or H11-- Does it matter?

I'm an HID idiot, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've been researching and trying to understand it and it still is not clear to me.

If I'm going to do a true retrofit on my 2015 non-HID Edge Titanium (meaning open up the housings and install new projectors), does it matter if I go with D3S or H11? It seems to me that these are different bulb sizes and therefore require different housings, so if you're going for a PnP solution without installing new projectors then getting the correct one is crucial to ensure the light is focused correctly. But if I'm going to purchase a complete retrofit kit with projectors and everything, it really doesn't matter right? Are there other feature differences between D3S and H11 that I'm missing?

Just trying to sift through all the information around this and make sure I buy the right stuff the first time.

D3S bulbs are real hid bulbs. Designed & built as hid bulbs only with the ignitor at the base. An H11 is a regular tungsten (halogen) bulb. Any hid H11 bulb is not a real hid bulb but an hid capsule fitted on an H11 base.

In short, if you need oem hid, go for the D3S.