Subwoofer install on 2016 SEL

So I had a kicker soundstage in my f150, needless to say I miss it.

The sound system isn't the worst I've heard but, it leaves something to be desired. I've never installed a sub on a vehicle while keeping the stock headunit(sync 3 in this case). Besides the kicker which was literally made for that truck and was plug and play with existing wiring.

Not really sure what it entails. I'm guessing there is room on passenger side cargo wall as that's where Sony one goes. I'd even go for the Sony one if there was a way to add it(not hopeful). Curious if there's already wiring back there they just don't connect if it's going to be a non Sony system or what?

If anyone on here has done any modifications to these new ones while keeping the stock look(not looking for an amp mounted to back seats or a sub box). Let me know! Just looking for some clean low end to add to the sound stage

Edited by Tjm623
  • Like 1

I emailed Kicker, basically begging them to make a system for our edges. It was amazingly easy. Simple dash removal and adding their harness in between the existing connection. Running the wire to the back and plugging sub in.

The power wire ran to the auxiliary power hookup that the f150 has, but is basically a secondary positive post that's easier to access.

There was a dealer who sold them like hot cakes on old forum MSRP was $800-$1000 depending on if you got the speakers as well(which added a separate amp) that mounted underneath dash near dead pedal. He sold the full kit for around $300. Was well worth the money. Bass was controlled through sound options just like a normal speaker system.

Please kicker please!

So my quest continues...I found while browsing eBay the Sony OEM sub for a 2015. I also found a Sony dash face that includes the HVAC controls. I was beginning to wonder if that unit would be swappable with mine? And then the sub may work if I'm lucky enough to have the wires in the back for a sub but nothing is plugged in?

I know it's a long stretch, but I feel like now a days a lot of cars have the connections for different options that they necessarily don't have.

I am not sure if the Sony dash piece has anything to do with it as it's still running through sync3, and there is probably an amp somewhere that would be needed as well. Unless the sub has its own amp in the plastic casing?

The dash piece was about $90 and the sub was a little more. I don't want to tear mine apart just to look and see it can't be done though. So if anyone has had either the dash faceplate off and has pictures of the wires / back of it or the sub area in a non Sony edge I'd love to see!