Edge Headrests and Brakes...

I am new the the forum and want to say thanks for the great info.

I purchased an NEW 2007 Edge in Dec of 07. Nice car my wife loves it. However I have two problems with the car, first is the headrest ( only one is bad) and second is the brakes.

The headrest issue was noticed on the first test drive, basically it forces your head forward so far that it is uncomfortable to drive the car. Interestingly enough this is only the case in one seat, the drivers seat. The passenger seat was a perfect fit. So I did a test, swapped the head rests seat to seat. Now the problem exists in the passenger seat. Well this ruled out the seat and its position. Next I took both headrest out and measured the angle of the rods used to hold them in the seat. Sure enough one headrest was bent to a tighter angle than the other.

Great so now I know the problem. I go to my local dealer and ask for an exchange. They tell me the seat is not in the proper position. Which at first makes sense until you actually think about it. That is the headrest is an integral portion of the seat. So it should work comfortably with the seat in any position....

Regardless I have 2 headrests that are different. One works great in the car and the other, well it had to be removed from the seat so the passenger could enjoy the ride.

My question, knowing they are different, I proved that with inspection and an angle finder. Why then did the dealer refuse to get me a replacement ? Have others had similiar problems...

of course the dealer said turn then around,,,well if Ford wanted them turned around I am sure they would have installed them that way....After paying 30+k for a car you would think something this trivial would be a simple fix....

What happend to Ford service...

My second issue is the brakes...why are my fornt rotors pitch black like they have been overheated and every time I move the car it souns like the brakes are squealing ( and this car has only 2500 miles on it) ....The dealer says it is normal...I say since when? No other car does this what makes the edge unique ? Serioulsy folks brakes are the difference between life and death and this is the response I get...I like Ford cars, but my patience is wearing thin...

My dealer is Maihbach Ford in Orville Ohio....use at your own risk

I can not comment on the head rest - dont have the issue - to my knowledge.

Brakes - YES, it is warrant-able. A good dealer will notice the heat marks and this will possibly lead to warping of the rotor and reduce/eliminate the brake response - that is bad.

Mazda has issues on their 3 with the rotors wearing out in 10K - 25K miles. They had to be replaced under warranty. Since I am VERY light on brakes, I still have 38K miles on the "bad" brakes and only 50%-60% worn. I love manuals.

Ours do not look like they are overheated (trust me I know what they look like too). Take note of this TSB - this might help

07-11-9

BRAKE DRAG

Some Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit brake drag from the rear wheels or all wheels. Customers may notice an odor and/or reduced powertrain performance. In some cases, the driver may also note an integral vehicle dynamics (IVD) light after driving a given distance due to pressure noted in the module without a change in brake on/off (BOO) state. • To resolve the brake drag concern from all wheels - Replacement of the BOO switch is necessary. • To resolve the brake drag concern from the rear wheels only - Adjustment of the park brake cables are necessary.

All I can say is find a good dealer. I feel your pain. In my city, ALL of them stink. The only good one went out of business - most likely because it was in a not so good part of town. I will travel to another city to get good service.

Good Luck

Solas

Thanks for the replies and suggested help and ideas. The news about the Brake On/Off switch is interesting and I will ask about that. I have an appoitment with the dealer I purchased the Edge from and hope they will be more interested in the issues. The first dealer I tried was closest to my house conveinent yes, helpfu no.

Thanks again!

We also have a 07 EDGE SEL and my wife voiced concern over this (on passenger side) when we test drove the vehicle. I attributed the discomfort to the position of the seat after I sat in the passenger side. When I adjusted the angle of the seat with more of a decline the issue seemed to be resolved. The headrests are different for the passenger vs. the driver. The headrests on the newer vehicles all pretty much seem to angle towards the back of the head of the person in the vehicle. My 02 Maxima is the same way. I agree that it is uncomfortable when the seat is in a certain position. We seemed to have alleviated the issue by adjusting the position of the seat and the height of the headrest. I hope this helps.

carefully bend it back... that's my solution. if you give it to the dealer, that's probably what they're going to do anyway (a guess).

edit: or not, I like jimbobber927's advice. I had not previously heard they were different.

Edited by bri719

I am new the the forum and want to say thanks for the great info.

I purchased an NEW 2007 Edge in Dec of 07. Nice car my wife loves it. However I have two problems with the car, first is the headrest ( only one is bad) and second is the brakes.

The headrest issue was noticed on the first test drive, basically it forces your head forward so far that it is uncomfortable to drive the car. Interestingly enough this is only the case in one seat, the drivers seat. The passenger seat was a perfect fit. So I did a test, swapped the head rests seat to seat. Now the problem exists in the passenger seat. Well this ruled out the seat and its position. Next I took both headrest out and measured the angle of the rods used to hold them in the seat. Sure enough one headrest was bent to a tighter angle than the other.

Great so now I know the problem. I go to my local dealer and ask for an exchange. They tell me the seat is not in the proper position. Which at first makes sense until you actually think about it. That is the headrest is an integral portion of the seat. So it should work comfortably with the seat in any position....

Regardless I have 2 headrests that are different. One works great in the car and the other, well it had to be removed from the seat so the passenger could enjoy the ride.

My question, knowing they are different, I proved that with inspection and an angle finder. Why then did the dealer refuse to get me a replacement ? Have others had similiar problems...

of course the dealer said turn then around,,,well if Ford wanted them turned around I am sure they would have installed them that way....After paying 30+k for a car you would think something this trivial would be a simple fix....

What happend to Ford service...

My second issue is the brakes...why are my fornt rotors pitch black like they have been overheated and every time I move the car it souns like the brakes are squealing ( and this car has only 2500 miles on it) ....The dealer says it is normal...I say since when? No other car does this what makes the edge unique ? Serioulsy folks brakes are the difference between life and death and this is the response I get...I like Ford cars, but my patience is wearing thin...

My dealer is Maihbach Ford in Orville Ohio....use at your own risk

If the rotors are blue / black... that means that the calipers are not releasing. Drive the vehicle and check for excessive heat. DON'T touch the rotor, might burn your hand. They should replace the caliper assembly, rotor and maybe the knuckle if the bearing is damaged. I had this issue years ago on the GM and they replaced the rotor and caliper. Under waranty.

• 2 weeks later...