Pesky Outlet Problem

So, I got my new edge and LOVE it! However, I have a Sirius Stiletto 2 and a Garmin GPS. I hooked the Sirius direct and ran the audio line and the power line from inside the console. I popped the console off just like everyone in here said... Really easy! :) Then drilled a hole and ran both lines. I ran the antenna line from the back as many people have described... :) Damn, this forum is awesome. But when I was all said and done I wasn't happy, as each time I would park I would have to unplug the Garmin, and then open the armrest and unplug the Sirius... :( NOT GOOD.... Pain in the Buttocks!

So I went exploring for a solution. Took a bunch of trips to local parts stores, with no luck. Then one day while in Wally World, (aka Wal-mart), I found my answer.

You see, they sell a three outlet bar with an on off switch that plugs into the outlet in front of the shifter. It comes with two sided tape and it fits PERFECTLY in that little alcove where the outlet is. There is just enough room to put the outlet bar's plug in in the outlet. Then I got a Blue Glow Dolphin light to put in the third outlet (due to the fact that you mount the bar upside down and can't see the light on the switch very good). I re-ran the plug lines, and left the audio line in the console. BINGO!!! It works awesome. Whenever you get to where you are going, you can't help but turn the button off, (because of the glowing blue dolphin) which in turn saves your battery! It works great and you don't have to unplug your units anymore! It is great! I'll try to post some pics soon.

Fin

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of the outlet bar. I think it looks rather clean, no mess at all. And after using it for a while it works great!

Fin

how about a photo of this contraption... I don't need a photo of the dolphin as I have the matching skull from the same series :) - just the final setup you describe. sounds a tad bit messy for me, but I would be curious to see it none the less.

post-2790-1207795299_thumb.jpg

Edited by FINFAN3DP

Nice idea but for me its not clean enugh

I installed one of theseadda.jpg to a circut that turns on and off with the ignition

and then one of theseoutlet.jpg and pluged in my sat radio

now when every I turn on or off my car my sat radio/ipod tuns on/off

You don't have to worry about overloading a circuit becuase it splits it and adds another fuse also its all tucked up under the dash. This is also how I have my Radar installed so it turns on and off as well they are easily taken out if needed and parts are only like 10 bucks.

But yours is much easier and does the same job.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh the dreaded unplug. this always bugged me with my Ranger and wondered why it wouldn't shut off with the engine, like the stereo does. my girlfriend's Highlander outlet doesn't work like that. now I know why!! Toyota installed one of those doohickies and Ford doesn't. what are the name of the parts and do I get them at any auto parts / stereo supply store? I know what the bottom one is, an extra outlet. bottom line I honestly suck with electrical stuff.... thanks for the help

btw any help with 'popping' the console off? where to pull from

ugh the dreaded unplug. this always bugged me with my Ranger and wondered why it wouldn't shut off with the engine, like the stereo does. my girlfriend's Highlander outlet doesn't work like that. now I know why!! Toyota installed one of those doohickies and Ford doesn't. what are the name of the parts and do I get them at any auto parts / stereo supply store? I know what the bottom one is, an extra outlet. bottom line I honestly suck with electrical stuff.... thanks for the help

btw any help with 'popping' the console off? where to pull from

Yeah you can get the Add a circuit from here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=071-585

make sure its the mini one the edge has mini circuits. popping off the console if you search a little on here I think there is a write up somewhere. sorry don't have the time to do a write up