Removing Rear view mirror help.!!!!

Hey Guy's,

Does anyone know how or can they explain how to Get the rear view mirror off on a 08 sel the chrome on the center of the dash has a glair when the sun hit's it and I want to put a piece of window tint on the top of the windshield but not really sure on how to remove the mirror. any input would be greatly appreciated thank's....fullmod...

This probably isn't what you want to hear but my advise is dont even try it, or pay a shop to do it so when it breaks the windshield they are responsible. I took mine off to replace it with a different rear view mirror and ended up breaking the windshield and i seem to remember others posting the same thing. They are on extremly tight and need to be pried off and if not careful the part that is glued to the windshield can come off with part of the windshield.

This probably isn't what you want to hear but my advise is dont even try it, or pay a shop to do it so when it breaks the windshield they are responsible. I took mine off to replace it with a different rear view mirror and ended up breaking the windshield and i seem to remember others posting the same thing. They are on extremly tight and need to be pried off and if not careful the part that is glued to the windshield can come off with part of the windshield.

Thanks for the input I think I'm gonna have the dealer remove it for me and I'll put it back on after the tint is installed ...if the dealer doesn't want to remove the mirror then I guess I'll have to change the piece in the center of the dash to fix the glare....thanks again....

Edited by fullmod

Trust me... pay to have it done. I purchased a Compass/Temp/Auto Dim mirror for my Wife's 2007 Edge. I read about how to remove it and even bought a special ford tool to unlock the tabs. Even with all that I still broke her windshield. So $325 for a mirror and another $250 for an insurance deductible, expensive mirror replacement project!!!

Even after the mirror was off (broken off) I tried to get the tab off of it. With the tool and all, I still have yet to get that damn tab off. I gave up. The new windshield came with a tab already on it.

Pay a glass shop or the Ford dealer to get that thing off for you.

Rayo

I'll second the motion not to try it yourself, even with the tool. My windshield was replaced and the glass installer had a whale of a time removing the mirror, even with the correct tool (it slipes under the mountint bezel and releases a tab that holds the mirror to the bracket.) He could not get it to release and had to break the mounting from the glass and put it in a vise to release the mounting tab. You can easily break the windshield trying to put enough pressure on the tab to release it. That is why you want someone else to remove the mirror. When it breaks, it's on them. Better yet, just leave it alone.