After Market Outside Temperature and Compass

Now that I have my new 2008 Edge SE I want to add an outside temperature and compass gauge. Any suggestions for one that is wireless and battery operated?

Has anyone tried the Wayfinder V2020 Wireless Digital Vehicle Compass and Advanced Thermometer?

Edited by Rockfish

Now that I have my new 2008 Edge SE I want to add an outside temperature and compass gauge. Any suggestions for one that is wireless and battery operated?

Has anyone tried the Wayfinder V2020 Wireless Digital Vehicle Compass and Advanced Thermometer?

Just asking, since you did not specifically mention it .... you are looking for a replacement since you are unhappy with the factory compass and temp functions? Neither is of great importance to me, so it was a while before I even knew they were both already there is why I ask.

I have a '07 SEL+ & I don't have outside temp either. I do have a compass, and I'd LOVE to get a thermometer. Let me know what you find

Trish

I have a '07 SEL+ & I don't have outside temp either. I do have a compass, and I'd LOVE to get a thermometer. Let me know what you find

Trish

Hi Trish. :D Does your SEL have the ATC (Automatic Temperature) Air Conditioning System? If it does, your system comes with the outside temperature display. You only need to press the "EXT" button on the A/C system. The temperature is displayed in the A/C system display, not in the Information Center under the Speedometer/Tachometer

It is fully explained in your Owners Manual, pages 70-72 of the version I have.

If you have the manual version (with the three rotating knobs). you are correct that it does not have the display.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - I know this may seem obvious to some, but we have had others not realize that they had an "EXT" button that displayed the outside temp in the past.

Edited by bbf2530

I have a 2008 SE so it does not have outside temperature as is on the automatic climate control system. I saw the Wayfinder V2020 Wireless Digital Vehicle Compass and Advanced Thermometer on ebay and got a refurbished one for $11 plus S&H. I will give it a try when it comes in and let you all know how it performs.

I have an 07 SEL+ with the temp and compass. I thought those are standard on the SEL+. If I had a SE

I would look at the Ford dealer installed mirror with compass. Might be a little pricey.

Well, I hope I have the SEL+. The salesman "told" me that was the model...but since then, I've had to go back & I'm not sure I'm trusting him too much any more. I looked at my paperwork & it doesn't mention any model. I did buy it used with 10K miles. It does not have the auto climate control, it does have the leather, and dual power seats.

Wow! When I was buying my Edge, I was the belle of the ball - what a difference when he saw me come back a week later - and just when I starting thinking I had a new best friend haha

Well, I absolutely LOVE my Edge, maybe not the salesmen at my local dealership - but, what are you gonna do.

I'm thinking of just getting the rear view mirror with the temp. I'm just really bad about car things. I've never loved a car so much as this one-so I find myself wanting to buy her everything! I'm really getting attached! lol

Thanks all for your suggestions, I'm having a ball looking at all this stuff!

Trish

• 2 weeks later...
I have an 07 SEL+ with the temp and compass. I thought those are standard on the SEL+. If I had a SE

I would look at the Ford dealer installed mirror with compass. Might be a little pricey.

I have the SE with the SYNC option thus the mirror contains the mic. Ford Accessories does not have a mirror that includes temp with sync. Without the sync the mirrors costs almost $400.

I did install theWayfinder compass/temp and it does work.

Some problems are that it is a LCD display and is hard to see at night. It does have a light but is very dim. Also, since it is a separate unit not integrated into the dashboard it must be attached to the windshield or laid on the console; therefore requiring me to place it in the console when I left the Edge. I do not want a thief could mistaking my $11 unit for a GPS.

If anyone else has an exterior temp gauge, let me know how it works for you.

Edited by Rockfish

I bought the Wayfinder V2020 and an extra temperature sensor for inside the car. I mounted the exterior sensor to the inside of the front air dam, and the interior sensor under the passenger seat.

I'm not sure I'd fully recommend it. The display is very difficult to read in low light. The backlight is completely useless, and unless you have the display plugged in to 12 volts, only stays on for a few seconds after pressing the button. I did not want another wire running around the dash, so I just used the internal battery.

If the compass does not sense that you are moving and changing direction, it turns itself off. It's not very smart, and the thing turns itself off about 80% of the time.

The temperature display seems accurate, and I've only had to replace the battery in one temperature sensor in the last year.

The display unit is much thicker than the pictures show (there's a big bump on the back for the battery), and it's difficult to mount cleanly.

Rick

I bought the Wayfinder V2020 and an extra temperature sensor for inside the car. I mounted the exterior sensor to the inside of the front air dam, and the interior sensor under the passenger seat.

I'm not sure I'd fully recommend it. The display is very difficult to read in low light. The backlight is completely useless, and unless you have the display plugged in to 12 volts, only stays on for a few seconds after pressing the button. I did not want another wire running around the dash, so I just used the internal battery.

If the compass does not sense that you are moving and changing direction, it turns itself off. It's not very smart, and the thing turns itself off about 80% of the time.

The temperature display seems accurate, and I've only had to replace the battery in one temperature sensor in the last year.

The display unit is much thicker than the pictures show (there's a big bump on the back for the battery), and it's difficult to mount cleanly.

Rick

I agree it has a lot of problems. I wanted an outside temperature sensor and found the Wayfarer on Ebay and obtained it for $11. It does provide the temperature and direction but is not what I really want. I would like to have a smaller wireless temperature display that can be viewed at night and easily attached somewhere unobtrusively to the dash or console. Unfortunately, the temperature readout in the rear view mirror are not available for vehicles with sync since the mirror has the mic for the sync.

I put the rear view mirror that had the compass and temperature sensor in my last F-150 pickup. It worked very well, but was a nightmare to install. Running the wire from the headliner out to the front of the truck was very challenging. If I ever do it again, I'd leave the installation to a professional.

I just bought a battery operated temp-only (has inside & outside on/off switch on it) display gauge from Pep Boys. it's oblong and about 1/2" tall with a flat bottom edge and push button for light. works on 1 AAA... I'm going to install it tonight or tomorrow but will probably use my own black velcro dots. comes with some white squares that will probably show too much.

since I already have the direction on the instrument panel, I don't really care about that. it should work fine but if it doesn't I'll just bring it back. I think it was $10. Homelink is nice but I'm not going to spend like $300 + installation for it.

by the way anyone know where to buy a really good fitting sun shade except from Ford? Costco? I got an "oversized" accordian silver one at Pep boys, it's a couple of inches too short in height, but it's also about 6" too long on each side. but even worse since the last "fold" is 2" before the A-pillar there's an annoying gap on each side! kinda lame since the suction cups that stick on the window are on this extra flap that's too long. so they won't even connect to the window

Edited by bri719