Rear wheel well rubber trim?

shumax

So, after much exposure to wheel well rot with Honda and Acura, I was dismayed to see how Ford handled our 2016 Sport. The rubber trim that covers the lip of the rear fender seems well intentioned, but it traps moisture. Catch twenty two, though - you want to chance trapping moisture, or chance rock chips and abrasion that will lead to rust? Never sure which is better but I ripped the rubber guards off of Hondas I owned in the past and then cleaned that lip and touched only minor chips in along the way.

Regardless, I took the Edges off this weekend. After 13k, they were caked with dirt and other debris. I cleaned them and the wheel well lip. Also applies a light coating of white lithium grease on the rubber trim when I put it back on. Also soaked the inside of the fender lip with a light spray grease. Hope it helps - really hate this design. Our 2007 did not have it....

Shumax

post-20986-0-07020300-1515371292_thumb.jpeg

Edited by shumax
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think all of the Gen-II's have this issue, I do too anyway. I pull off the bottom section of the rubber molding every once in awhile and use the power washer to clean out the sand and dirt that gets packed into the track. The first time I noticed it I was really surprised how much debris was jammed in there. That's not a bad idea to put something in there like a bit of grease to prevent rusting, eventually the sand and debris will wear down spots to bare metal. Must be worse in areas with a lot of rain/snow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny I ran across this post as I just experienced this same issue yesterday. I noticed the rubber trim had become dislodged and upon closer examination, it was caked with crud. Just another area to pay attention to when cleaning. My question, how do you keep the rubber trim on? It appears to have been put on with some type of adhesive. Thanks.