Non-Edge Project #1: Replace HDD in iPod Classic with a SSD

PrinzII

Backstory: My 80 GB Gen 5 iPod Classic which lived happily in the console of my Edge met with a very strong magnet and trashed the hard drive. I have been carefully researching this project because there are quite a few quirks when doing it.

I have found a few ZIF 1.8" SSDs. The debate comes down to capacity. Do I want 128 GB or 256 GB? Either way, i will need a new rear cover (more on that in a minute). I also looked at different mSATA boards but ultimately decided on this route because it will be less work. While doing this, I am also going to replace the battery and (maybe) the screen.

Tools are already on order for this project including a decent spudgel (Yes, it is a thing). You will need a plastic tool to get the back off of the iPod because the cover is held with clips and those clips may get damaged.

Stay tuned......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update:

I finally got it opened and can see that I am definitely going to need a new rear cover because I had to be somewhat aggressive in getting it off. I also located the battery and plan to replace that with a 3000 mah battery. The only decision now is capacity. I am still debating going with either a 128 GB or 256 GB SSD.

• Like 1

128GB seems to be the "sweet spot" in 1.8" SSDs these days - the point where everything smaller is not much cheaper but the next size up is considerably more expensive. That sweet spot in 2.5" SSDs is currently 256GB (anything smaller is within $20 but a 500GB is twice the price). These spots go up as prices come down so it could change depending on when you plan to buy. The most economical decision is to buy at the sweet spot because you get the most capacity for the least money.

I would say calculate how much space you use now and add maybe 50% for growth then see what size comes closest to your needs. There's no point buying more than you'll ever use (that's different for a computer drive because the added space increases longevity due to being able to move data to unused areas but your iPod will see mostly read-only use).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to grab the same exact item from ebay at a fraction of the price of an ssd, battery, and the time you spent?

Also, I bet your phone can do everything already. And if you had an Android you could just pop a 200GB micro sdxc into it.