Can the PTU's be saved?

I am in the market for a new to me vehicle, and the Edge really fits the bill well,

With that said, I read all over the place that the PTU's are junk, tiny fluid capacity and to change the fluid via suction very often.

All of that is fine with me, at .5 liters (or whatever the miniscule amount is) I have no problem with changing PTU fluid at every oil change.

My concern is this: I am looking at buying in the 80-100k miles range. If the transfer case is original (or even a 2nd one) and has not been changed religiously can the PTU be "saved"? Meaning, if I changed it the day I got the car, at it wasnt leaking out of the vent hose before hand, is the damage more than likely done? Or has it been the experience of the edge community that if you can get fresh fluid (and keep it fresh andn clean) that the PTU is "good to go"?

Am I crazy to even entertain the thought of buying a ~90k ish rig with not knowing what the PTU history is?!

Thanks

Well first, you could always buy a FWD version and eliminate the PTU altogether.

Has the damage been done? There's no way to tell. It's highly unlikely that the fluid has ever been changed. But if the PTU has been changed will be on file in the Ford network and your local dealer can look it up for you.

Is it OK to buy a Edge with 90k? I bought my 09 MKX with 80+. I had my dealer run the history and fmr owners both had the MKX serviced at Ford dealers. I knew the entire history. Plus the dealer ran a complete inspection I knew exactly what I was getting. Start with a Carfax or equal report. Tell's you what history they have. (Accidents, flood damage, rental, etc).

After I bought mine, I had the fluid changed on the PTU soon after. The dealer found the seal leaking about a year after that. They advised changing the seal (~$350-400 or so) but put a new unit when they discovered I had an extended warranty. (Big smile).

If you buy an Edge with AWD and have concerns, also buy an extended warranty. When you decide on which year and model, before you buy from dealer, go online and get two or three quotes. Then use those quotes to bargin with the dealer (assuming you buy from a local Ford dealer. If not, visit later and make him match online price).

Generally if you don't buy from a Ford dealer, expect to pay ~$100 for a detailed inspection to get the warranty. You will have to have anything they find fixed before they will start the ex warranty.

Besides the PTU, the other concern is the water pump on the 3.5L, 3.7L na engines. Coolant changes and oil changes seem to be the strongest deterrent. I probably will have mine changed around 150k as a preemptive measure. Many have failed before this.

• Like 1