Anyone Installed Ford Hitch and Harness

Has anyone installed the Ford Hitch and Harness? I like a lot of people didn't get the factory setup. I'm kicking myself, but I got a awesome deal on my edge and I'm only pulling a small 4 wheeler so decided I could get it later. Looking on the Ford Accessories site, you can get the Trailer Hitch, Class II

Part Number: 7T4Z-19D520-A and the

Part Number: 7T4Z-15A416-B

Just wondering if anyone has installed one. According to the site, it says no drilling or welding needed, but all the posts I have read, people have had to drill? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on getting this and if someone could give me some pointers that would rock.

Edited by schrief

well.. I have never heard of anyone on this board installing the 'factory' hitch - and I have read most all of and participated in most of the hitch threads as I needed to do this when I got my car. if they want a hitch after the fact, all that I have seen here that posted up went with after-market hitches like myself.

Best thread on it here that covers which hitches, part #, cost, wiring kits, etc.

IF Ford claims no drilling, it would be only because they opt to use the 4 available holes already there in frame rail. You could do the same with another hitch mentioned above if you did not want to drill - which would depend on what you want to haul and blah blah (disclaimer here)... so if you want 6 bolts, you will have to drill. if you want to just carry bikes and stuff on a hitch rack, maybe 6 is over-kill. But, I opted to use them all, but drilling is no biggie if you have a good bit. Either way, there are 4 open holes and if they say no drilling they must only give you 4 bolts were it seems the after-markets give you 6 bolts. Heck, maybe 6, if factory Ford gives you 4, is actually over-kill.

also, IIRC, after-market Class II hitches were mo cheaper and the after market wiring kits were as well. So, another reason to not use 'factory' as the after-market quality is just as good quality by name bands.

DON'T. DO. IT.

The Ford ex-factory trailer hitch and harness requires you to (not kidding) cut the plastic bumper to fit. I'd negotiated for one at purchase and then just bought the aftermarket one, anyway.

Dealer cost on it was more than aftermarket trailer hitch that didn't require the bumper cut.

I would also recommend purchasing and installing a quality aftermarket hitch. It would be less expensive, and offer an easier install. After what I just went thru building up the material and milling my drawbar for a snug fit with the poorly constructed factory receiver hitch, I wouldn't hesistate to install an aftermarket receiver hitch. (I find it odd that the factory receiver on several of my F-150's have been very good for both quality and drawbar fit without the annoying "loose thumping", but the receiver on my Edge is so "crappy"?) A great place for all things towing related is e-trailer. The website is www.etrailer.com and they have about anything you would ever need for towing. I have been a satisfied customer on several occasions, and they are great to deal with. (I have no affiliation, other than satisfaction.)

Here's a link you may find helpful - e trailer

Phoenix,

Are you saying that you don't have to cut the bumper if you purchase a after markets hitch? I have no problem installing a after market, and have read what others have done, i just want the best looking hitch i can put on my truck. I don't want it to be all that visable as well. I would like to conseal it as much as I can.

Phoenix,

Are you saying that you don't have to cut the bumper if you purchase a after markets hitch? I have no problem installing a after market, and have read what others have done, i just want the best looking hitch i can put on my truck. I don't want it to be all that visable as well. I would like to conseal it as much as I can.

then do after market for sure.

after market hangs below the bumper, so no cut as has been pointed out, plus they since they are black they just kind of blend in better that way below the black bumper. that makes an easier install as well.

I, as well as others, have photos up showing our hitches installed.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Phoenix,

Lex said it for me.

It's there, but not sticking out like a sore thumb. Oh, and it's got the 2" square opening. A plus in my book. The ex-factory Ford hitch is the 1 1/2 opening.

• 1 month later...

I just installed an after market hitch from draw tight as well I had to install an easy to install wiring harness. YA Right.... took 2 hours to put in the hitch no holes required (class two hitch) and 3 hours to install the wiring. All looks great and it only took 2 cases of beer to get the job done right. Plus it cost a whole lot less than the ford hitch and I didn't loose my Edge for a full day. I can post pics if required but it's only a hitch. My advice, if your handy with tools or have friends with tools, is to install an after market hitch, just make sure you have a sunny day to perform your work.