Permanent roof rack on naked roof needed!

I've never seen a mass produced one but it may exist. When I needed one for my 2015 roof, I was told by the dealer to seek out a custom shop. That means lots of money. Of course a temporary works, Thule makes one. Just google it.

https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-finder.aspx?hhcat=roof&passmake=Ford&passmodel=Edge&gclid=CjwKCAjw2_LcBRBYEiwA_XVBUyr6Sy8d_qq8g69apKH_BqoYoNrfzUmdNy0bCX6LHPrp5Z2QriMr7BoCoxEQAvD_BwE

Edited by vega

I just added the factory rails. Those are about $180-200, plus Yakima or Thule cross bars ($450?) if you have the Vista roof because that cannot use factory crossbars. Otherwise you can use the factory cross bars.

In pulling off the factory trim strips on the roof, there are five bolt holes per side (two front/back, and one in the middle). You could used those threaded holes to attach something like the Yakima tracks, which are permanent. If you were to put the track there, you have to contend with the body seam of the roof panel, then the curve of the roof towards the front (down and inward), plus the limited attachment points to screw it down.

I’d be concerned if the crossbars you use are not near the attachment points and the track flexes. This could be addressed using rivnuts, but then you need to see where the side airbags are located so you don’t interfere with those.

I put a lot of thought into this if you haven’t noticed.

Does all this makes the factory rails look like a better/easier option?

• Like 1