IOS 12 + Sync 3 + Apple Carplay = Google Maps! (2018 Edge with Sync 3)

Yay,

Finally something that actually works! I find Apple maps to be particularly useless and I was very also unhappy with the buggy Waze support when meant completely disabling Apple Carplay to get something slow and not very useful. I upgraded to IOS 12 and have the latest Sync 3 s/w (IMHO Ford versioning is particularly obtuse but I loaded it as a latest version in the second week of Sept). I now have a new app called Google maps in Apple Carplay and boy does it work well. Fast, simple and accurate mapping, accurate address searching (Apple maps take note) and to cap it all the Satellite view is simply breathtaking on the Sync 3 screen.

I hope at some point that Waze is truly integrated, but for now Google maps will work just fine and as I said, the satellite view is amazing. I'll post some pictures in a while.....

Edited by timfountain
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on IOS12.0.1 on iPhone 7 and have Sync3 v3.0 with Nav. When I set up Carplay on vehicle and phone it works for Apple, Google, or Waze maps which is fine. When I restart the vehicle and reconnect the phone then Carplay doesn't start, the phone display for it's battery in upper right corner goes from green to white and then the phone vibrates, then this keeps repeating. I'm using the supplied Apple Lightning cable and have made sure that the phone setting allows Carplay and also USB connection without the USB locking. I've tried clearing out the settings in the vehicle and phone and restarted the Sync with the 2 button hold method, then reconnected and it sets up and works again until then next vehicle restart and phone reconnect.

This problem was fixed by doing a "Master Reset" on the Sync3 system and reconnecting the iPhone to bluetooth and Carplay.

Edited by FordGuy1