First oil change?

Retired_97

I must have missed the part of the new vehicle intro that covered oil changes because I wasn't quite sure of when to have the oil changed in our new '08 Edge Limited for the first time.

The service manual begins at 7,500 miles!!! I've never gone this long on any oil change, especially the first one.

I'm a normal 3,000 mile type of guy between regular oil changes but I'm also use to 1,500 miles or so for the initial one.

I went to my dealer's service dept. and asked. They confirmed that 7,500 miles was the first along with a tire rotation but, if I wasn't comfortable with waiting that long, I could come in at 3,000 if I felt better about that.

What has everyone done in regard to their first oil change? Have you actually waited 7,500 miles?

I must have missed the part of the new vehicle intro that covered oil changes because I wasn't quite sure of when to have the oil changed in our new '08 Edge Limited for the first time.

The service manual begins at 7,500 miles!!! I've never gone this long on any oil change, especially the first one.

I'm a normal 3,000 mile type of guy between regular oil changes but I'm also use to 1,500 miles or so for the initial one.

I went to my dealer's service dept. and asked. They confirmed that 7,500 miles was the first along with a tire rotation but, if I wasn't comfortable with waiting that long, I could come in at 3,000 if I felt better about that.

What has everyone done in regard to their first oil change? Have you actually waited 7,500 miles?

Hi Retired_97. :D I follow the Maintenance Schedule for "Normal Service", 7500 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first) for the 3.5 liter engine. I do not put a lot of miles on this car though, so I actually wind up changing every 6 months.

Keep in mind, if you use your vehicle to tow or your driving qualifies as "Severe Duty", the recommended interval is 5,000 miles (see your Maintenance Booklet).

There really is no reason to do it sooner. No manufacturer I can think of (off the top of my head) has had a 3,000 mile service interval in years. It is just a moneymaker for the Dealership.

Even my 2001 Cougar has a 5,000 mile normal service recommendation.

Of course, if you feel more comfortable changing it sooner, that is completely up to you.

Be prepared for arguments on both sides of the coin, those who insist on changing sooner than the Manufacturer Recommendation, and those who insist on using full synthetic oil and going much further than the Manufacturer Recommendation. Kind of ironic when we think about it.

Of course, while sooner than 7,500 miles will certainly not hurt, I would advise against extending past 7,500 miles, at least while you are still under Warranty. Once you are out of Warranty, you are free to do as you like.

Again, my advice would be to follow the advice of the people who built the car.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Just as an FYI, the Factory fill in your vehicle is Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic oil (not full synthetic, not conventional).

Edited by bbf2530

I change oil in new vehicles the same way the Dems vote in Cook county--early and often*. Only because I bought my Edge 1600 miles from home did the original oil last that long. I changed oil and filter a couple times before I switched to fully synthetic RedLine 5W20 at c. 4000 miles, and now I use the 7500-mile interval.

Oil and filters are cheap; engines are not.

Of course, many will opine that Ford's and all others' dead-dino engine oil is just fine to use, as is the 7500-mile interval even from brand-new. Personally, I use better-than-required material and intervals.

* I guess the 'even if dead' part of the Dem's voting policies doesn't apply to oil-change intervals. :)