2016 Edge Sport Liftgate Will Not Open

• 2 weeks later...
Guest opasen

I have more or less same issue. 2015 Edge SE(manual lift gate). I've measured the battery, just completed about 50miles trip an so on, but still no-go.

Pressing the button the the back or using key fob will randomly unlock the lift gate. It seems that it 'unlocks" as the trunk light comes on and the dash displays "Ajar" but I can't lift the gate it as it is still physically locked.

I took apart the damn thing yesterday but didn't see anything wrong with it. I used a screwdriver to manually push on the latch mechanism to "lock" position. Pressing either of the unlock buttons unlocks it. Not sure how much force it takes to unlock it but kinda feels like it doesn't have enough strength to move to unlocked stage/position. At this point I don't think it is the battery because with the engine running voltage goes to +14V which should be more than sufficient to unlock it, but it doesn't. After the 50miles trip, the battery with the engine off was at about 12.9V but still randomly unlocks.

I guess a new lock actuator will be needed.

I'll be ordering it now and will update if that fixes the issue.

https://www.fordpartsamerica.com/oem-parts/ford-lock-actuator-ds7z7443150e

Replacing it is easy enough. Maybe 30min or less.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Ok so I have this same problem. Battery is 7 months old. Started with a tailgate "pushing" to open but the lock jammed. Tailgate warning light on the dash. Now my tailgate is used twice a day generally so I get it if the lock needs replacing, its well used! Friday last week I came out to a dead battery (after the tailgate issue had been there for a few days). I boosted the battery and the car started ok, and the tailgate cleared. Used the car Sunday (yesterday) and the tailgate worked great 3 times, then wouldn't unlock again. Put the battery on charge overnight but still the same issue. Battery reads 12.4v with the car off, but charger takes hours to bring the battery up so not discounting that. Cannot yet manage to open the tailgate manually through the circular hole. Where do you aim it when you inset the screwdriver? I cycle to work so not sure if the car will start when I get to it today, but I carry a booster. How the hell do you disconnect the ground on the battery as its all the way back there!? 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:40 AM, Guest opasen said:

Update: Ordered new door latch from local dealer(less than $60), installed and works as it should. SOLVED

Any indication on the old unit what was causing the problem? 

Corrosion on the connector? 

Gunk in the mechanism that a solvent or lubricant could have cleared?

• 1 year later...

Hi all Ford Edge 2017 Titanium 2.0L with same issue as described above, liftgate gets stuck and drain the battery overnight even though it's fully closed, but only when the car thinks the liftgate is open (indicator on dash). Issue comes and goes depending on trunk usage. Dealer wants $550 CAD to replace the 'liftgate latch and cinch motor'. Looking for the part in Canada I'm not 100% sure which part is needed:

https://www.eastgatefordpartscanada.ca/v-2017-ford-edge--titanium--2-0l-l4-gas

I believe it is the Lock Actuator for $230. Feel like the dealer is a bit gougey here.

Lock Actuator