A challenging question - first time asked maybe?

Ok here's a weird one ... we are picking up our brand new edge on June 30 at 11:00 A.M. - then at 2:00 P.M. - we rent a uhaul trailer that weighs 800 lb , load it with 700 lb then drive 600 km .

I do have the towing package , but my question is .... a brand new vehicle ..... leave the dealer and the first 500km are spent by the engine pulling 1500 lbs....... you can maybe guess my question.

I know its not ideal to do , but is it still ok? or am I risking short / long term damage to the engine? I am buying the vehicle on the 0% offer so I really dont want to do anything to damage the engine , on the other hand the plan I have to pick up my daighter's belongings is best carried out if I can do it this way.......

Thanks for any input I can get from any 'enginexperts' out there?

From an 07 Edge OM:

Under Breaking-In your vehicle:

Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a trailer. Additionally, during the first 500 miles (800 km) that you tow a trailer, do not drive over 70 mph (112 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This style of driving will help the engine and other parts of your vehicle break in at the heavier loads.

Under Towing section:

• Do not tow a trailer until your vehicle has been driven at least 500 miles (800 km).

I'm no engine expert, just relaying what I know is in the manual.

Edited by carbonedge+

Ok here's a weird one ... we are picking up our brand new edge on June 30 at 11:00 A.M. - then at 2:00 P.M. - we rent a uhaul trailer that weighs 800 lb , load it with 700 lb then drive 600 km .

I do have the towing package , but my question is .... a brand new vehicle ..... leave the dealer and the first 500km are spent by the engine pulling 1500 lbs....... you can maybe guess my question.

I know its not ideal to do , but is it still ok? or am I risking short / long term damage to the engine? I am buying the vehicle on the 0% offer so I really dont want to do anything to damage the engine , on the other hand the plan I have to pick up my daighter's belongings is best carried out if I can do it this way.......

Thanks for any input I can get from any 'enginexperts' out there?

Hi freemanbobj. :D As the information that carbonedge provided clearly states, you should not tow at all for the first 500 miles the vehicle is driven.

Are you risking short/long term damage to your engine and transmission? Yes. Therefore, you should change your plans concerning a tow vehicle..

In addition to the information carbonedge provided, here is another copy and paste from your soon to be Owners Manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive

continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of

new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during

the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these

additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil

usage.

I would advise against following through with your current plans.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530