Remote start failing

Howdy all. I have a 2010 Ford Edge Sport with the series 100 remote start kit that was already installed when I purchased the vehicle used a couple years ago. The remote start function recently started failing to start the car, just as cold weather hits and I need it.  Grrrrrr. What I'm seeing is that it "tries" to start (I hear a brief whirring-like noise), then it pops off a pair of horn honks and stops trying. The failure was persistent for a few mornings. I found the series 100 guide and it appears that the double-beep on failure indicates that the hood is open, but it's not. So one afternoon, I walked to the car to try to troubleshoot and the remote start worked all of a sudden. Of course since then it's stopped working when I need it to. At the moment, it seems this may be a problem caused by low temperatures since it was in the 50s when it did work the one time, but in 30s when it failed. The car otherwise starts fine by key. The battery was recently tested and is fine (replaced a few months ago and re-tested a month ago). Soooo... any thoughts on what the problem may be and what to look for?

EDIT: half hour after posting this, i tried the remote start and it worked perfectly.... temp in the 50s. So still looking to be a temperature-sensitive problem

EDIT 2:  Ok, it's in the 60s this morning and it wouldn't start, so not a temperature-sensitive problem, it would seem.

Edited by Lifeisabeach