Considering new exhaust system

Went to my local muffler shop today to have them look at upgrading the exhaust on my 08 SEL fwd. Kinney's Muffler shop is one of the premier muffler shops in the DFW area. This was the first Edge that they have looked at. I told them about what some of you on the forum have done and told them that I was not looking for anything loud. Don't take this wrong, it is just my opinion, but I do not like what most people have done to their 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles. Most of them sound like a chainsaw or a bumble bee to me. I grew up being around 8 cylinder vehicles so almost anything else sounds off to me.

After looking at it under the lift, they told me that it would not work to do a true duel exhaust system because of the way Ford designed it. Their suggestion was to start after the flex joint and go straight back with a new resonater and the stock size of 2-1/4 in pipe. Then y out to 2 vortex mufflers and use the stock chrome tips that came on the Edge from the factory. This would remove all of the bends that is on the stock exhaust, smooth out the flow and reduce the back pressure. The sound level would just be a little louder than stock. It would retain the stock look on the outside. Cost $575.00 The expected gain in HP would be around 8 to 10 HP. The estimated increase in mileage would be 1 to 2 mpg. If I wanted to go to go to 2-1/2 inch pipe after the flex joint and y out to 2-1/4 inch vortex mufflers and tips, the cost would be about $100.00 more. This would decrease the back pressure more, but the sound would be louder.

I have not done this yet, but I thought that I would get your opinions on this. I am considering about talking to them to do a video on this custom job as it would be the first Edge that they have done and have them put it on their website. They have some cool videos of some of their custom jobs with sound and everything. I thought this might be a big help to any of you who might be considering this as well.

I would love to here a sound clip if you get it done!, i have an AWD model and haven`t found any "kits" available, We`ve only had our edge a week so havn`t looked under it to see what can be done. *And i agree about the sounds of the 4 and 6 bangers, sounds rediculous, V8 rumble is like a shot of adrealine, if done right!* I would do it for the fuel economy, havn`t finished our first tank so can`t scratch any numbers yet, power gain would be alright, i think these little units go pretty good anyways, maybe one day i take it for a rip with the accelerometer and post some numbers! haha

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I had to put this mod on hold. My 16yr old daugher is driving my 95 Ford Ranger and it needed new tires. Couldn't let her run on bald tires. The Ranger tends to be a little skiddish because it is so light weight, so it needs all of the good tire rubber it can get. My plan is to still do this later this year (if I can afford the gas to drive it). I am wanting to put a K&N cold air intake on the Edge when I do the exhaust, but you all know that does not exist yet. Funny thing is that K&N offers a cold air intake on my wife's 2007 2.4L Toyota Camry. Go Figure!!! Doesn't anyone on this forum know someone that knows someone that works for K&N so that we can twist their arm!!!!!

Just a quick update. I had to put this mod on hold. My 16yr old daugher is driving my 95 Ford Ranger and it needed new tires. Couldn't let her run on bald tires. The Ranger tends to be a little skiddish because it is so light weight, so it needs all of the good tire rubber it can get. My plan is to still do this later this year (if I can afford the gas to drive it). I am wanting to put a K&N cold air intake on the Edge when I do the exhaust, but you all know that does not exist yet. Funny thing is that K&N offers a cold air intake on my wife's 2007 2.4L Toyota Camry. Go Figure!!! Doesn't anyone on this forum know someone that knows someone that works for K&N so that we can twist their arm!!!!!

i just got mines installed today from 40 delta sries delta flow to flow master super 40....ummmm it doesnt sound like honda now =]