Any way to fix the numb steering?

ituhata

Hey guys,

I dunno alot about cars and all the terms and whatnot, but whenever my edge gets up over 60mph, and obviously it gets worse the faster you go, but I get this feeling like I've already lost grip on the road. The car is solid, but I just can't feel it at all. Combined with how quick the steering responds it's caught me off guard alot.

Is that just how it is with electric steering, or are there any aftermarket suspension parts that would improve that?

41 minutes ago, omar302 said:

I can't say about that of the steering on my Sport. It feels solid at high speeds. I'd suggest you check the alignment & tires just to make sure everything is good. Also try the steering modes, sport/normal to see if one is better for you. 

I haven't bothered with any of the modes, but can confirm my experience with my 2017 Sport is much the same as yours, rock solid at all speeds [only been up to 100 mph for short distance a few times].

Steering feel couldn't be better for me.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ituhata said:

So you say you can feel how solid the car is through the steering wheel?

My previous vehicle was a 2011 MKX with a traditional hydraulic steering and I'd say my 2016 Sport is at least as solid as the MKX was, if not a bit more. Wife's '13 Altima had a hybrid system, am electrically driven hydraulic pump (AFAIK) and it feels twitchy. 

Also, remember that Ford's EPAS had what they call drift compensation, what it does is add some steering torque in case there was road crowning (if that's what it's called) or there was crosswinds, kind off like to relieve some stress Fromm keeping the steering turned all the time. Something that will take some time getting used to. 

For the adaptive steering, what it does is actually make you turn the steering wheel less at slow speeds. You'll find that going to full right or left will only take 1 turn when parking. Found a way to see how much it adds by rotating the steering wheel about a quarter to half turn when the engine is off at which the adaptive steering would not be working, then start the engine and the steering wheel will turn by it self to add the adaptive compensation it usually adds if you had turned the wheel with the engine on. Off topic but kinda cool to see it work out of the ordinary. 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

My previous vehicle was the 2015 2.0fwd edge. I've had both in the triple digit-ish range, and I felt like my old edge had a much better connection to the road. Not performance wise, just in how much feedback I was getting through the steering wheel. My new car handles well, in fact it's a little squirely just because the steering is so quick that I'm not used to it, but it takes every course correction effortlessly. It's just that I can't sense it.