EcoBoost & Edge: When????

DUCKRACER

I would greatly appreciate it if a "Staff" or someone working for Ford would tell us when and if the Edge will get an EcoBoost engine option and if so, will it be a twin-turbo? will it be a 3.5 V-6?

I understand that a 2010 EcoBoost Edge might put a damper on the sales of 2009 Edges so you may be reluctant to give all the details, but please tell us what you can.

Thanks.

didn't you answer your own question about "when" by mentioning 2010? which is also what the fine print on the EcoBoost Ford commercial says

The Ford Ecoboost commercial doesn't say anything about the Edge. EB has been announced for the MKS, Taurus and Flex only. And the OP is asking IF it's planned for 2010 and I haven't seen anything from Ford or insiders that even hints about a 3.5L EB being put in the Edge.

my bad then... but have I not seen a commercial that has that guy talking about how he use to love to work on his moms car and race cars (and shows an old school 50's photo of him sitting on a car hood) and then he goes on to say something like "but I always liked working on them more"... and it turns into an EcoBoost commercial, shows him driving an Edge, EcoBoost data and imagery and then he says something like "if you could put a v6 in and make it perform better than a v8, wouldn't you want that" and then the print mentions something like "coming in 2009 on select 2010 models"???

I am almost positive the whole commerical is EcoBoost and he is driving an Edge and it mentions 2010. or am I smoking crack? I seem to recall that commercial stands out in my head as I kind of remember saying 2 myself (1) why are they talking about a 2010 release in 2008 and (2) great, I could have gotten an Edge with that engine.. so, it seemed a logical jump for me to see EcoBoost an Edge and put that together.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/forddriveone/ - there is an EcoBoost commercial, page 3, not the one I speak of mind you, but it shows the Edge 2 times in the commercial. yeah, yeah I know "but Lex, there is a disclaimer that says 'coming in 2009 on select 2010 models'".. but then I would ask "Ford puts out a dozen cars, why put one on the commercial that would not be relative to the announced product?"

Edited by Lex Talionis

my bad then... but have I not seen a commercial that has that guy talking about how he use to love to work on his moms car and race cars (and shows an old school 50's photo of him sitting on a car hood) and then he goes on to say something like "but I always liked working on them more"... and it turns into an EcoBoost commercial, shows him driving an Edge, EcoBoost data and imagery and then he says something like "if you could put a v6 in and make it perform better than a v8, wouldn't you want that" and then the print mentions something like "coming in 2009 on select 2010 models"???

I am almost positive the whole commerical is EcoBoost and he is driving an Edge and it mentions 2010. or am I smoking crack? I seem to recall that commercial stands out in my head as I kind of remember saying 2 myself (1) why are they talking about a 2010 release in 2008 and (2) great, I could have gotten an Edge with that engine.. so, it seemed a logical jump for me to see EcoBoost an Edge and put that together.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/forddriveone/ - there is an EcoBoost commercial, page 3, not the one I speak of mind you, but it shows the Edge 2 times in the commercial. yeah, yeah I know "but Lex, there is a disclaimer that says 'coming in 2009 on select 2010 models'".. but then I would ask "Ford puts out a dozen cars, why put one on the commercial that would not be relative to the announced product?"

Thanks, guys. It seems you have answered my question as best as you can. So the answer is Yes, No, Maybe;-)

there is an EcoBoost commercial, page 3, not the one I speak of mind you, but it shows the Edge 2 times in the commercial. yeah, yeah I know "but Lex, there is a disclaimer that says 'coming in 2009 on select 2010 models'".. but then I would ask "Ford puts out a dozen cars, why put one on the commercial that would not be relative to the announced product?"

You are correct about the commercial, but I think that is simply the marketing department putting in stock footage rather than a subtle hint about which vehicles were getting it. Why didn't they show the Flex - we know for sure that it's getting it next year along with the Taurus?

So it's certainly possible, and Ford is definitely getting better at keeping this stuff secret (we haven't even seen decent spy shots or insider details on the 2010 Fusion and it's only 6 months away) so it is possible. But I still don't think it's likely.

You are correct about the commercial, but I think that is simply the marketing department putting in stock footage rather than a subtle hint about which vehicles were getting it. Why didn't they show the Flex - we know for sure that it's getting it next year along with the Taurus?

So it's certainly possible, and Ford is definitely getting better at keeping this stuff secret (we haven't even seen decent spy shots or insider details on the 2010 Fusion and it's only 6 months away) so it is possible. But I still don't think it's likely.

I feel ya... I guess, to me, it makes total sense that they cannot fit shots all of their car line into a commercial that will have the new EB engine, but does not make sense to me to have cars in their line that will not have the EB and yet put them in a very specific EB commercial, not just a generic Ford commercial.

The MKX will get the EB before the Edge will. Got to have greater distinction between Ford & Lincoln. Of course, that assumes there will still be a Ford as we know it in 2010. Today's news about delaying the intro of the 2009 F150 was not reassuring news. I assume that the delay is to give the dealers more time to unload the 2008 models that are not selling. Given the fact that the 2009 will have better fuel economy with the 6 speed transmission and other improvements, I would think Ford would be rushing it to market as soon as possible, not delaying it by months. Dodge will have its all new 2009's on the streets by the end of July. Dodge has a large number of unsold pickups just like Ford, but they are proceeding full speed ahead with their new intro. The new Dodge is suposed to get better mileage as well as a host of other improvements, just like Ford. Dodge dealers are already advertising $15,000 off MSRP in some areas on the 2008 full size pickups. My guess is that Ford won't be far behind as the summer progresses.

Still love the 08 Edge Limited. 7 months with zero issues to report.

The MKX will get the EB before the Edge will. Got to have greater distinction between Ford & Lincoln. Of course, that assumes there will still be a Ford as we know it in 2010. Today's news about delaying the intro of the 2009 F150 was not reassuring news. I assume that the delay is to give the dealers more time to unload the 2008 models that are not selling. Given the fact that the 2009 will have better fuel economy with the 6 speed transmission and other improvements, I would think Ford would be rushing it to market as soon as possible, not delaying it by months. Dodge will have its all new 2009's on the streets by the end of July. Dodge has a large number of unsold pickups just like Ford, but they are proceeding full speed ahead with their new intro. The new Dodge is suposed to get better mileage as well as a host of other improvements, just like Ford. Dodge dealers are already advertising $15,000 off MSRP in some areas on the 2008 full size pickups. My guess is that Ford won't be far behind as the summer progresses.

Still love the 08 Edge Limited. 7 months with zero issues to report.

I think they are also now pushing the F 150 with "Employee Purchase" pricing - another commercial I am pretty sure I just saw - to help them move those bricks off the lot.

• 2 weeks later...
I would greatly appreciate it if a "Staff" or someone working for Ford would tell us when and if the Edge will get an EcoBoost engine option and if so, will it be a twin-turbo? will it be a 3.5 V-6?

I understand that a 2010 EcoBoost Edge might put a damper on the sales of 2009 Edges so you may be reluctant to give all the details, but please tell us what you can.

Thanks.

Here's the answer and it is YES to Ecoboost for the EDGE!htthttp://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1790&st=0&p=13371entry13371p://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jan2008/bw2008014_388136.htm

Edited by DUCKRACER