TomTom Hard Wired?

Hi there!

Not a fan of the Nav, well I guess not a fan of the $$$ for the Nav, stock - so didn't get it on my new ride. Love my TomTom and was wondering (and please keep in mind I'm not an engineer nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :) ) if anyone (and it doesn't have to be a TomTom has hard wired their GPS and could describe steps or show some pics?

Don't mind it on the dash or on the glass or anywhere for that matter, just don't like the wires and having to use the plug-in cable... want a cleaner look...

Thansk!

CopperCarolinaEd...

I have a HP travel companion (with a TomTom built in) and hard mounted it just in front of the empty cavity located on the center shift console slightly in front of the shifter. With the BAMR (Big As_ Moon Roof) the TomTom will has no problem picking up the sat reception and if you tint out the drivers and passanger side windows (like I did), you won't have to worry about theft. Too hard to see inside with the limo tint. Sorry I have no pictures but I might post some of my Blazing copper Mid life crissis toy after I smoke out the back lights and front grill and main headlight as well. It's going to look quite aggresive, exactly what I need in the great Canadian outback.

Michael-Back in the day when draftsman really did drafting work, they used to have these leather weights to hold down drawings. They are about the size of a small hamburger and are filled probably with metal shot, so they are fairly heavy for their size. Anyway I had one of these and used it to mount the metal disk that came with my garmin to this leather weight. Then in turn mounted the suction cup for the garmin holder to that disk. I also have it located just in front of the shifter and the reception is very good. We have no sun roof but it works anyway. With an outlet right there, you can wrap up the wires and shove them in that opening under the a/c controls. Looks pretty good and what I really like is it's out of the way and out of site. John

Michael-Back in the day when draftsman really did drafting work, they used to have these leather weights to hold down drawings. They are about the size of a small hamburger and are filled probably with metal shot, so they are fairly heavy for their size. Anyway I had one of these and used it to mount the metal disk that came with my garmin to this leather weight. Then in turn mounted the suction cup for the garmin holder to that disk. I also have it located just in front of the shifter and the reception is very good. We have no sun roof but it works anyway. With an outlet right there, you can wrap up the wires and shove them in that opening under the a/c controls. Looks pretty good and what I really like is it's out of the way and out of site. John

Hi John!

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance that might have turned into something like this if you had mass-produced it? :doh:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8144086

The area you mention is definitely an area I'm looking at. Having Headrest DVDs installed tomorrow and the guys are going to hardwire the plug for me so no need for the outlet but I still like that location...

Thanks again!

Michael