Heavy Static in Navigation

JRavey

I recently picked up a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with Navigation & Sync from Koons Ford in Sterling, VA and I've enjoyed it so far, except the navigation system has a remarkable level of static in it. It starts and ends with static and the voice sounds a bit rough, beyond turning it down so low that it's hard to hear, I've been unable to find any workaround that lets me hear it and sounds tolerable.

I brought it back to the dealer and their reply was that it was supposed to sound like that and as I already know, if I turn it down, the static is gone. Granted, you can barely hear it the voice, but at least you can't hear the static. Is this just a flaw in the navigation unit? I cannot believe for a second that in a vehicle that's generally this good, they would just toss it onto the sales lot with such a poor navigation unit. It all strikes me as implausible that Ford engineers were saying, "Let's try to make this one really great, maybe nobody will notice all that static!"

I recently picked up a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with Navigation & Sync from Koons Ford in Sterling, VA and I've enjoyed it so far, except the navigation system has a remarkable level of static in it. It starts and ends with static and the voice sounds a bit rough, beyond turning it down so low that it's hard to hear, I've been unable to find any workaround that lets me hear it and sounds tolerable.

I brought it back to the dealer and their reply was that it was supposed to sound like that and as I already know, if I turn it down, the static is gone. Granted, you can barely hear it the voice, but at least you can't hear the static. Is this just a flaw in the navigation unit? I cannot believe for a second that in a vehicle that's generally this good, they would just toss it onto the sales lot with such a poor navigation unit. It all strikes me as implausible that Ford engineers were saying, "Let's try to make this one really great, maybe nobody will notice all that static!"

Hi JRavey. :D "They all do that" is all to often the answer that less competent Dealers give when confronted with problems.

The solution is easy. Test the Navigation System in two or three other Edge's on the lot at Koons Ford. Assuming they do not exhibit the same static problems as yours, present your findings to the Service Manager. Ask him/her to sit in the other vehicles and listen to the Nav System in the other Edge's. If they don't exhibit the same static/sound quality concerns, it can't be a case of it is "supposed to sound like that".

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi JRavey. :D "They all do that" is all to often the answer that less competent Dealers give when confronted with problems.

The solution is easy. Test the Navigation System in two or three other Edge's on the lot at Koons Ford. Assuming they do not exhibit the same static problems as yours, present your findings to the Service Manager. Ask him/her to sit in the other vehicles and listen to the Nav System in the other Edge's. If they don't exhibit the same static/sound quality concerns, it can't be a case of it is "supposed to sound like that".

Good luck. :beerchug:

I tried that last night for demonstration purposes when I dropped it at the dealer. They had none in stock, but they had a Mustang with it in stock and it sounded far better than my Edge. When I pick it up tonight, I'll try to go through that motion again. We even set the volume to the exact same level on both for comparison.

Edited by JRavey

I tried that last night for demonstration purposes when I dropped it at the dealer. They had none in stock, but they had a Mustang with it in stock and it sounded far better than my Edge. When I pick it up tonight, I'll try to go through that motion again. We even set the volume to the exact same level on both for comparison.

I wonder if something might be wrong with your NAV disc? Thats assuming your radio sounds good.

Try it in another NAV vehicle maybe.