Front Bumper Bug Stain

Hardhawk

Was washing the wife's Creme Brulee Edge last night when I noticed that all the bug splatter on the front end came off except for one. The bug had been there 2-3 days and while I could remove the bug remains, there was still a stain on the plastic bumper cover where the bug had been. The bug itself was gone and the surface was smooth, but the orange colored stain remained. Nothing I tried would remove it. The car had been waxed only a few weeks ago and the bug was not on the bumper long. It bugs the heck out of me. (Pun intended.) Seriously, is there any way to get this off? The bumper should not stain like that after a couple of days with the bug on it. Any ideas and comments appreciated. I have never had this issue on a car before, but have never had a car this light colored either. This is the only complaint we have had in over 7 months of ownership as we love the car. To me, however, the bumper stain looks like crap and I don't want to have to stare at it for the life of the vehicle. I pride myself on the appearance of my family's vehicles so it is a big deal to me. Seems like the plastic bumper material should be more durable than that.

Was washing the wife's Creme Brulee Edge last night when I noticed that all the bug splatter on the front end came off except for one. The bug had been there 2-3 days and while I could remove the bug remains, there was still a stain on the plastic bumper cover where the bug had been. The bug itself was gone and the surface was smooth, but the orange colored stain remained. Nothing I tried would remove it. The car had been waxed only a few weeks ago and the bug was not on the bumper long. It bugs the heck out of me. (Pun intended.) Seriously, is there any way to get this off? The bumper should not stain like that after a couple of days with the bug on it. Any ideas and comments appreciated. I have never had this issue on a car before, but have never had a car this light colored either. This is the only complaint we have had in over 7 months of ownership as we love the car. To me, however, the bumper stain looks like crap and I don't want to have to stare at it for the life of the vehicle. I pride myself on the appearance of my family's vehicles so it is a big deal to me. Seems like the plastic bumper material should be more durable than that.

Hi hardhawk. :D I would recommend you try a good "ClayBar System" first. I would recommend either Meguiar's or Mother's. Do not use the "Turtle Wax Liquid ClayBar" for this problem. It is not a real claybar. Read the directions and follow them to the letter.

If several tries with the Claybar does not work, you will need to use a more abrasive solution, such a as a "Clearcoat Safe" Polishing or Rubbing Compound. I would also recommend Meguiar's or Mother's products for this next step (I am partial to Meguiar's). I am sure other forum members will have their own favorites. Again, follow the directions to the letter for whatever product you should try.

According to how deeply the stain has penetrated you may not be able to get it out completely. This is not the fault of the bumper plastic, as the bird dropping actually stained the paint, not the plastic. It is also not a flaw in the paint. The acids in bird poop are extremely corrosive, and will do damage in a short time if not removed relatively quickly. You just happened to get a really bad one.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I would also suggest using this paint decontamination system. This is an awesome system for decontamination and there is no risk of going through the clear. Oh and no I have no affiliation with this company lol, just trying to help.

Edit: Also, as bbf stated, this has nothing to do with the plastic bumper material. There is a clear coat layer on top of the paint that is extremely durable, but some bugs and bird droppings are very caustic and can do alot of damage fast.

Edited by Edgey1

you know.. I am not so sure about the theory it has nothing to do with the plastic bumper material - or at least the clear coat over the plastic which we all know are sprayed separate and in a different location than the body.

you see, in my thread on this exact topic just days ago, what I was told made sense. BUT, since then, I have had it happen 3 more times - so my opinion has changed. All of them sitting well less than 24 hours, like the first time and all of them happening on both metal with clear coat and plastic with clear coat. On the metal, the exact same "stuff" (bird poo, yellowish maybe from hummingbird) comes off no problem. easy. clean. But, for an absolute fact, the exact same stuff does not come off of the bumper. I can document it. So, if it is not the plastic of the bumper, it is the clear coat. there is no reason it wipes off the metal and not the plastic, both with clear coat. how can you explain that? it is a fact as I am seeing it with my own eyes and cleaned both places the same way of the same stuff with totally different results. same stuff leaves ethcing in plastic bumper, wipes off the metal body, was there the same amount of time.

I washed my car 100% yesterday at 6 pm. nothing on it at noon. Now, at 6pm, there are 3 spots... 2 on metal and 1 on plastic bumper. Metal came right off easy... bumper is "etched" in. In just 6 hours or so time. this makes the 3rd stain.

so.. inferior clear coat on plastic bumpers??? must be

I notified the dealer about it today, so we will see what they come up with. I agree with Lex in that I have had some horrible bird poop, some after they ate purple berries that looked just horrible come right off the paint on metal. I think there is something different about the paint on the bumper. My dealer knows that I am anal about my cars' appearance so they will try to help out all they can. I have been buying cars from them for over 20 years as have my parents and brother's family. They are a great dealership to work with so hopefully all of us working together can figure something out to fix it. It just drive me crazy every time I see it.

I am pretty anal about my car as well (well, I am always that way for about the first 6 months) so I am very aware of what happens and what does not and when and blah blah. there is certainly something up with the clear coat at least between bumper plastic and car body metal. no doubt in my mind.

I need to get some decontamination product for sure. that website above not only sucks, but you cannot even buy a "system" of products they show in a kit, and when you go to their consumer store, they sell like product 1 and 3, but not 2 and 4??? I might see what I can but local.

I am pretty anal about my car as well (well, I am always that way for about the first 6 months) so I am very aware of what happens and what does not and when and blah blah. there is certainly something up with the clear coat at least between bumper plastic and car body metal. no doubt in my mind.

I need to get some decontamination product for sure. that website above not only sucks, but you cannot even buy a "system" of products they show in a kit, and when you go to their consumer store, they sell like product 1 and 3, but not 2 and 4??? I might see what I can but local.

Sorry about the bad site Lex. I have never actually ordered from that site so I didn't know it was so crappy. It really is a good product for getting decontamination out of paint though. I know someone who was driving past an airport while a jet must have been dumping fuel and it covered his truck in the weirdest film that absolutely would not buff/claybar out. He took it to a shop by the airport and they said they see that all the time. They washed it with this product and it looked like new in one day. If you can buy it local I would definitely give it a try.

Sorry about the bad site Lex. I have never actually ordered from that site so I didn't know it was so crappy. It really is a good product for getting decontamination out of paint though. I know someone who was driving past an airport while a jet must have been dumping fuel and it covered his truck in the weirdest film that absolutely would not buff/claybar out. He took it to a shop by the airport and they said they see that all the time. They washed it with this product and it looked like new in one day. If you can buy it local I would definitely give it a try.

Hi Edgey1 and Lex. :D The full kits can be purchased. They are listed on this page of the website: LINK: Paint Decontamination

Start looking at the very top under "1119 / 883 PAINT DECONTAMINATION KITS". There are at least three different sizes.

As a hint, you are looking for the kits labeled "DK-1B", "DK-1", or "DK-2". My guess is "DK-1" would probably be the best one to get, if someone really wanted to purchase this system and have all the proper applicators etc.. "DK-1B" states that there are no applicators or paint sealant included, and DK-2 is probably a bulk supply for a Professional Detailer. The bottles are all labeled "FK-1". They are not labeled 1-2-3-4 like in the first page that Edgey1 linked to. That is probably where the confusion is coming from. Click on the "view label" button located to the right of each kits price to see what I am describing.

The website can be a little confusing at first, but all the products are listed and available in kit form. Hope this information helps.

Just want to add that I have never tried these products and do not know if they are worth the price, so I am not endorsing them, simply trying to help you guys find the correct pages of the website to look on.

Edited by bbf2530

hmm.. under "Professional" but not under "Consumer" products? that makes sense... kinda... not... I am no pro, but I am a consumer and I want the same product as the pro.. they make it hard to buy and figure out..

Actually, there is also a small kit available on this "Consumer" Page: LINK: Paint Decontamination Seems to be no applicators included though.

I do agree that the website may be hard to navigate. At the least, those interested now have a place to start.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bbf2530

I saw that.. but that was what I was saying in #6 that in that consumer section, which is what we are, after explaining that whole "kit" on the above link, the consumer section just shows (Step 1 of the Paint Decontamination System) and (Step 3 of the Paint Decontamination System), but not Step 2, 4. Plus the Step 1 and Step 3 they do show are totally different bottles/graphics than the clear, yellow, green, white of the 1,2,3,4 System they show on that above link... you have to piece it together and match the bottles with the other page and blah blah...

EDITED - Hi Lex (and Edgey1). :D Lex, I am only trying to help you purchase the "Paint Decontamination Kit" (if you are really interested), not debate the clarity of the website. I already stated that I can see how the website may be confusing to some people. My previous post (#8) clearly explains where the confusion lies, if one takes the time to read it carefully.

An additional reason for your confusion, and why the full "Paint Decontamination System Kits" are not listed in the "Consumer Products" section is the following: This system is mainly being marketed to Professional Detailers and Vehicle Preppers who have a need to completely wash down multiple cars (i.e vehicles that have been delivered to Dealerships and are suffering from environmental fallout conditions during transport or subsequent outdoor storage).

It is not really marketed as a spot treatment for individual vehicles or consumers (like us), which is what those with bird droppings trouble really need (unless our cars are playing a part in Hitchcock movies). In other words, the reason why the kits are not listed in the "Consumer Products" section is because essentially the kits are not marketed towards individual consumers. They are marketed towards the Professional.

Now an Editorial opinion concerning this product, to anyone who cares: Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. It does seem like a very good product (for those it is marketed for/needed by). And it is good that Edgey1 made it known for those who may really need it. Again however, it is really aimed at Professional Detailers. The average consumer needs no more than either a good "Clay Bar System", or a good clearcoat safe paint polish and/or compound if the "ClayBar" does not work. The average "consumer" does not really need a $46-$151 "bird poop decontamination system" (yes, I do realize it is useful for all environmental fallout).

If anyone else is truly interested in the full "Paint Decontamination System Kits" Edgey1 recommended, they are available in three sizes, as shown in the link in my previous post (again Post #8). Here is the link again: LINK: Paint Decontamination

If you do not want to buy the kit, it is easy to find and purchase the individual components in the Consumer and/or Professional sections of the website.

Heck, could/should the website be easier to understand/navigate? Sure, why not. But at least anyone who wants to buy a "Paint Decontamination System Kit" now knows how.

Other than that, I will leave the "How clear the website is" debate to others who have the time, inclination and the desire to complain to the company about the website.

I am simply trying to help those who had/may have trouble deciphering the website to purchase this product (if they are interested). I do not need the product, have never used it, personally had no trouble navigating the website or finding the "kits". I believe I have done my part for the team. :angel:

Again I was simply trying to help you and others.

Edited by bbf2530

Direct from them to me...

Bird droppings are corrosive so you need to neutralize the surface pH. The product that you would use for this is #118 pH Neutralizing Car Wash. As for any stain that might be left behind we would recommend #215 AIO to restore the finish. Droppings left of a surface for a prolonged period of time can cause the clear coat to break down.

#2180 and #1000P are your two best defenses against acid compounds damaging your finishes.

Direct from them to me...

Bird droppings are corrosive so you need to neutralize the surface pH. The product that you would use for this is #118 pH Neutralizing Car Wash. As for any stain that might be left behind we would recommend #215 AIO to restore the finish. Droppings left of a surface for a prolonged period of time can cause the clear coat to break down.

#2180 and #1000P are your two best defenses against acid compounds damaging your finishes.

Lex, I knew that the other day, the first time I read the website (had no trouble understanding the site). Therefore, I am not sure how many times I have to repeat that "I am only trying to help you purchase the "Paint Decontamination Kit" (if you are really interested), not debate the clarity of the website." At this point I get the feeling you have no intention of purchasing the products, or you already would have done so and dropped this seemingly argumentative behavior.

Not sure what the point of your above quote is. To tell us that bird droppings are corrosive? Yes, we already knew that.

To tell us what products they recommend? Yes, we already provided a link to the pages necessary for anyone to check it out and purchase.

I already know how to take care of my car and have all the products I need. I had no trouble understanding/navigating the website (and also did not give you a hard time/busted chops for any trouble you may have had). Even stated I could see how the website could be difficult to navigate

If you are really interested in purchasing the "Paint Decontamination Kit", I have provided a link to how you can do it. If you are just looking for an argument, I am not sure why as all I have done here is try to help you.

A quick recap of this thread.

1 - Hardhawk complained about staining on his bumper cover from bird poop.

2 - Edgey1 let us know about the "Paint Decontamination Products". He highly recommended them.

3 - You complained that the website 'sucks and you cannot even buy a system of products".

4 - Since you could not find the kits on the website, I let you know where they were. Even provided a link to order page.

5 - You complained that the kits were only in the "Professionals" section.

6 - I let you know that there is a small sample kit available in the "Consumer" products section.

7 - You complained that it does not have the exact products that you want.

8 - I explained why: The FK-1 products are mainly being marketed towards Professional Detailers/Car Preppers, not individual consumers like us. And that the products are available in the "Consumer Section" for individual purchase and the aforementioned sample kit

9 - You continue to complain (do you see a pattern here?).

When most people receive gracious assistance from others (like Edgey1 and I have tried to provide) they usually say thanks and move on. They usually don't keep complaining about minuscule things, griping about not being able to decipher a website, and posting obscure quotes. A simple "Thanks" would suffice. Or even no griping. Therefore, I am not sure why this problem goes on.

Either purchase the "Paint Decontamination Kit" or use a ph balanced car detailer like Meguiar's Quik Detailer (as was mentioned in your post concerning bird droppings.

We have tried being polite and helpful, and just seem to get static for our troubles. I do not understand why.

I am really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is all a misunderstanding and you are not just looking for an argument. So it is perfectly clear, I just wish to be able to help people on this website (including you, if you will allow it) in some state of peace, without needless arguing, debate or uncalled for contradiction.

Please keep that in mind when you post again.

PS - If this behavior has to do with our past arguments, I have tried to forgive and forget and treat it like water under the bridge (as I said I would). If you can not/will not do that, just let me know now and I will cease attempting to answer any questions you post on these forums in the future. I am trying to be polite and helpful, it is up to you.

Edited by bbf2530

wow.... I just now came back to this topic to edit my last post up with a photo to document the issue.. and I saw this mean rant. You are assuming way way to much here. I simply only posted #13 up as a follow-up on the topic about what the manufacturers responded in an email to me, as it came direct from the source it seemed a valuable piece of data to provide to people, with exact product numbers they recommend so no one had to guess. nothing more... nothing less... and I got blasted for it... there was no malice on my end... just adding some direct from the manufacturer data I know would benefit others.

but anyway.. here is a photo.. yes, just a simple photo so people can see the issue clearly... no, the clay bar and a recommended liquid decontamination product I in fact did buy locally as a first step did not work.

post-2453-1215703729_thumb.jpg

(oops.. forgot to add the darn photo)

Edited by Lex Talionis

wow.... I just now came back to this topic to edit my last post up with a photo to document the issue.. and I saw this mean rant. You are assuming way way to much here. I simply only posted #13 up as a follow-up on the topic about what the manufacturers responded in an email to me, as it came direct from the source it seemed a valuable piece of data to provide to people, with exact product numbers they recommend so no one had to guess. nothing more... nothing less... and I got blasted for it... there was no malice on my end... just adding some direct from the manufacturer data I know would benefit others.

but anyway.. here is a photo.. yes, just a simple photo so people can see the issue clearly... no, the clay bar and a recommended liquid decontamination product I in fact did buy locally as a first step did not work.

post-2453-1215703729_thumb.jpg

(oops.. forgot to add the darn photo)

Hi Lex. Unfortunately you misunderstood my intent, as it would seem I did yours. Not a mean rant, no blasting, and no malice intended. Simply stated a perceived observation concerning your replies in this thread and asked you for some sort of clarification.

I will accept your word that this was all a misunderstanding, and that we can move on and continue to help others and each other.

Concerning your staining problems: Perhaps you really should contact your Dealer and see if there is an underlying problem. There is always the chance your plastic parts have some sort of defective paint finish.

Other than protecting the plastic parts with multiple coats of wax and cleaning things off as soon as possible, there is really not much else you can do on a preventative basis. Treating damage after the fact is not an ideal way to do things for any of us, but seems to be the situation that you and some others with the lighter colored paint finishes are having right now.

Hope it works out for the best.

Edited by bbf2530