Paddle shifters in 2019 edge titanium

mikeand

I just purchased a 2019 edge titanium with awd after being the happy owner of a 2011 edge limited. Very happy with the car except  when I use the paddle shifters the transmission doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd even though the display changes numbers. The dealer says it is normal and after my asking why in regular drive mode I see the gears changing they said that in regular mode the transmission shifts from 2nd to 4th skipping 3rd altogether. When I asked why there's a 3rd gear they said that that's what Ford engineers told them. Does anybody else have this issue?

It will skip gears under light throttle.  That’s the benefit of having more gears.  My 10 speed F150 shifts 1-3-5 under light throttle.

I’ve also heard that 2nd and 3rd gear are very close to each other so it may be shifting and it’s just not that noticeable.  Watch the tachometer as you shift.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Miller Edge Sport said:

My 2018 Sport has the paddles as well. The only benefit that I see is when accelerating from 40+ MPH to drop to a lower gear than when in D mode. I don’t use the feature that often and wish my Edge Sport had more than the 6 speed tranny. 

It's more useful when you want to hold a lower gear like on twisty roads or when descending a mountain.  I've also used it to start off in 2nd gear sometimes.   For everyday driving the forced downshift that you described is the only real benefit.