Should I preemptively change my water pump?

chrisoreeves

I have a 2011 SEL 3.5 that’s getting ready to turn over 200,000 (highway) miles. I am a musician in Texas, and drive all over the state for gigs. 30,000 miles a year.

Now that the “Beast” is getting up there in the miles, should I think about having the water pump changed as a precaution? I know highway miles aren’t as hard as average driving so maybe the pump has life left? I drive somewhere almost every evening and I’m driving back home at night. I just want to minimize risk. I do have roadside assistance also. Thanks for your input in advance 

Also, if anyone has advice on things to change/maintain at the 200,000 mile mark, that would be cool. It has new spark plugs, ignition coils, radiator and fan, alternator. 

It depends, what are your plans for the vehicle? Sell it soon or keep it several years? Your finances, can you afford the $1500 to have it done? Personally, I plan on keeping my Edge a LONG time. With that said, I would change mine out if I could afford it. Ive got about 85k on mine and would like to do it before 100k. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m at 175k miles on my 2011 SEL and I’ve contemplated this too. Most of my miles (75%) come from highway driving. If you can afford it and really are trying to minimize risk then the safest option. There are several other members who have 300k+ with no issues but there are also others who had the pump fail at 125k miles. I say 200,0000 miles is a nice middle number without necessarily being in borrowed time. 

As as for maintenance that Ive done, replace all of you fluids. Clearly engine oil, but transmission fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, etc. I just replaced my serpentine belt too. I had an ignition coil go bad 2 months ago and another one just started acting up today so I plan on replacing all 6 of them to avoid any PCM issues down the road. 

Anything else would be based on when items fail or the ride gets rough (ie., suspension components -though I replaced all the shocks/struts at 105k).

• Like 1