Water Pump Issue In Newer 3.5 L?

WhiteySue

I'm new here so please bear with me for starting a new thread on this issue. I have absolutely no knowledge of the Edge. I'm a retired farmer so I do have a basic understanding of how a vehicle works. IMHO, these are not like vehicles of my time/age, these are computers on wheels.  :)

I'm also concerned about this "water pump" issue. I have just purchased a used 2015 Edge SEL with Tri-Vct V6 AWD with 70,000 kilometers on the clock. Does this issue still exist in the newer model tri-vct engine?

Also I'm looking for advice on maintainence  such as when to service the transmission, the PTU and rear axle. When to flush the coolant and what color to use. I know what the owners manual says but I'd like to know how members feel about this? I plan on changing the oil when the oil monitor alerts or 8,000 kilometers, which ever comes first. Castrol "Edge" fully synthetic?  Thanks:  Dave

Welcome!

Yes the water pump issue will be there on all 3.5/3.7L VCT and Ti (twin independent) VCT engines.  Your best friend is regular maintenance.  Coolant flush every 5yrs/60K miles on the outside.  You can use Peak/Prestone/Zerex Universal Extended Life, or Motorcraft Orange.  Does not matter too much, the regular coolant flush is more important.

Transmission - 5 yr/60K miles

PTU - 2.5 yr/30K miles

RDU - 5 yr/60K miles

Engine oil - IOLM is fine, as long as you do not drive the Edge HARD.  Any full synthetic that meets API SN standards will be OK, Castrol Edge is one of the better ones.

That said, buying a used vehicle, always start with fresh fluids, no matter the mileage.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Welcome!

Yes the water pump issue will be there on all 3.5/3.7L VCT and Ti (twin independent) VCT engines.  Your best friend is regular maintenance.  Coolant flush every 5yrs/60K miles on the outside.  You can use Peak/Prestone/Zerex Universal Extended Life, or Motorcraft Orange.  Does not matter too much, the regular coolant flush is more important.

Transmission - 5 yr/60K miles

PTU - 2.5 yr/30K miles

RDU - 5 yr/60K miles

Engine oil - IOLM is fine, as long as you do not drive the Edge HARD.  Any full synthetic that meets API SN standards will be OK, Castrol Edge is one of the better ones.

That said, buying a used vehicle, always start with fresh fluids, no matter the mileage.

I totally agree 100%. Thanks for your response.   :)