Comparing Edge/MKX and general thoughts

az1324

I'm considering buying either an edge or an mkx. There are things about both that I don't like.

Edge Likes

1. Price

2. Rear styling

Edge Dislikes:

1. Front styling (specifically grille)

2. No black cloth seating

3. Interior styling

MKX Likes:

1. Front Styling

2. Interior Styling

MKX Dislikes:

1. Rear Styling

2. Price

I am actually considering buying an edge and swapping the front end (bumper, grille, fenders, headlights) for MKX versions. But if someone made a nice aftermarket grille then I could probably live with that. Another must to improve the appearance is color-matched lower valences all around.

As for the interior, I hate the steering wheel, instrument panel, and manual climate controls on the edge. I would definitely swap in at least a MKX steering wheel.

If I didn't hate the rear styling on the MKX, I might just buy it. When you add the luxury package to the edge you're already up to 30k and the base model MKX has all those things plus more for 35 so it isn't such a huge difference. But then it wouldn't be any fun.

Just felt like ranting. :banghead:

I'm considering buying either an edge or an mkx. There are things about both that I don't like.

Edge Likes

1. Price

2. Rear styling

Edge Dislikes:

1. Front styling (specifically grille)

2. No black cloth seating

3. Interior styling

MKX Likes:

1. Front Styling

2. Interior Styling

MKX Dislikes:

1. Rear Styling

2. Price

I am actually considering buying an edge and swapping the front end (bumper, grille, fenders, headlights) for MKX versions. But if someone made a nice aftermarket grille then I could probably live with that. Another must to improve the appearance is color-matched lower valences all around.

As for the interior, I hate the steering wheel, instrument panel, and manual climate controls on the edge. I would definitely swap in at least a MKX steering wheel.

If I didn't hate the rear styling on the MKX, I might just buy it. When you add the luxury package to the edge you're already up to 30k and the base model MKX has all those things plus more for 35 so it isn't such a huge difference. But then it wouldn't be any fun.

Just felt like ranting. :banghead:

It sounds to me that the only thing you do like about the Edge is the rear styling, and how often when you are driving a car do you see its rear end? Since you obviously aren't too fond of the Edge, pony up the cash and get an MKX. The aftermarket modifications you are speaking of seem like you would end up coming pretty close to breaking even. As far as an aftermarket grille for the Edge, I'm sure it won't be long before a few options are available and on the market. In my opinion, the rear end of the MKX is especially bad ass at night and really stands out.

I don't like the red stripe across the back at all though... or the tail lights. So I would probably end up changing the gate back to an Edge. The tails are a different shape so I don't know what I could do about those.

My best bet is probably to get the edge, put an aftermarket grille on it, and customize the interior.

I probably will wait til summer.

I think you will regret not getting the MKX. It does have a better ride than the Edge. The ride is smoother and the MKX just feels more luxurious all around when you are in it. I didn't like the rear at first but I'm suprised how many people have told me how cool they think it is. The auto rear hatch and the heated and cooled seats rule. Get an MKX.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't like the red stripe across the back at all though... or the tail lights. So I would probably end up changing the gate back to an Edge. The tails are a different shape so I don't know what I could do about those.

My best bet is probably to get the edge, put an aftermarket grille on it, and customize the interior.

I probably will wait til summer.

We got the MKX and I LOVE the back....especially at night as the entire width lights up. Makes it easy for other drivers to see. As for interiors, the MKX is all soft touch vs hard plastic. Leather and carpeting is also much higher quality. I priced out the SEL+ vs the MKX and felt the extra cash was well spent. Plus you get an extra year bumper to bumper warranty and a year of free maintanence.

I choose the Edge over the MKX because of the following reasons:

1. Price(biggest reason), if I wanted to pay that much I would also have to look at the Mercedes, BMW & Lexus, but that just not us.

2. I do not like the front grill of the MKX (reminds me of an old persons car).

3. The dash looks old and dated with square like gauges (reminds me of an old persons car).

What I like about the MKX is:

1. The MKX upgraded wheels are nicer; I’m disappointed that the bolts are not covered on the Edge even though I saw a 500 with some nice wheels. I got the chrome wheels but they do not look that expensive.

2. I like the rear better.

3. The interior door panels are nicer and should have been on the Edges SEL model.

4. The MKX offers better options (auto tail gate, cooled seats, wood grain) should have been offered on the Edge.

Even though I’m old (40’s) does not mean I want to drive something that makes you seem old. That’s my 2 cents on the matter it came down to what we felt like spending on a vehicle and what I thought looked the best. I don’t really want to pay above $30k for any car, but did for the Edge (maybe I’m cheap) but I do think both of them will be great cars.

:yup:

After reading your OP, i have to say that i didnt really think about the MKX as an option thinking it was too expensive. So i went to check it out, even though i already have my Edge. Dont like the front or back styling, nor the interior tweaks - wood trim is fine, but the rest looks way too much. A bit older looking, however i am in the target market for the Edge, just about 30 yrs old, recently married, kids on the way in a few years, wanting something for the road and dirt trails, hauling a few things around, but reasonable economy for the regular commute - dead center of that demographic!

There are some nice tweaks on the MKX that would be cool, auto tailgate, cooled seats and wood grain, but not worth the extra cash in my mind. I paid $31k for the Edge with practically everything on it bar nav, DVD and vista roof and couldnt see myself spending an additional $6-8k on the Lincoln nameplate and those few extras with the downside of the styling.

Lincoln is covered for an extra year (6) and 110,000km. Also includes all maintenance (brakes, wipers, oil changes etc) for 5 years.

I was told by more than one dealership that the Lincoln MKX only includes the first year's (or first 15,000 miles) maintenance. Howevere, for an additional cost, you can purchase extended service plans.

I was told by more than one dealership that the Lincoln MKX only includes the first year's (or first 15,000 miles) maintenance. Howevere, for an additional cost, you can purchase extended service plans.

Cut and pasted from the Lincoln website. PS I love knowing more than the salesman.

Lincoln No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance

The Lincoln No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance Program offers no-charge scheduled maintenance for your Lincoln for the first four years or 80,000 km of ownership - whichever comes first. In addition to the no-charge scheduled maintenance benefits, the program covers the replacement of the following wear items, if required.

• Brake pads and linings • Shock absorbers

• Engine belts and hoses • Wiper blades

• Spark plugs

Lincoln New Vehicle Limited Warranty

The Lincoln New Vehicle Limited Warranty will cover the cost of parts and labour, with no deductible, for four years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first, in the event of a defect in the vehicle's materials or workmanship.

Lincoln Roadside Assistance

Have you ever been locked out of your vehicle, or needed a jump-start or towing service? As a Lincoln owner, for the duration of the warranty period, Lincoln Roadside Assistance is there when you need help, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in Canada or the United States. Help is just a toll-free call away.

Emergency Travel Reimbursement

Should your vehicle become disabled due to collision or mechanical breakdown of a component covered under the warranty while you are more than 160 kilometers from your residence address, we will reimburse up to $1000 for reasonable emergency expenses.

Travel Planning Service

Let us help you plan your next road trip! The Travel Planning Service provides a customized, and comprehensive travel package including a choice of the most direct, time saving route to your destination or, for a more leisurely pace, with a scenic route. All you need to do is enjoy your trip!

Lincoln Customer Care. Ask a Lincoln Dealer for more details. Certain conditions and limitations apply.

Cut and pasted from the Lincoln website. PS I love knowing more than the salesman.

Lincoln No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance

The Lincoln No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance Program offers no-charge scheduled maintenance for your Lincoln for the first four years or 80,000 km of ownership - whichever comes first. In addition to the no-charge scheduled maintenance benefits, the program covers the replacement of the following wear items, if required.

• Brake pads and linings • Shock absorbers

• Engine belts and hoses • Wiper blades

• Spark plugs

Lincoln New Vehicle Limited Warranty

The Lincoln New Vehicle Limited Warranty will cover the cost of parts and labour, with no deductible, for four years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first, in the event of a defect in the vehicle's materials or workmanship.

Lincoln Roadside Assistance

Have you ever been locked out of your vehicle, or needed a jump-start or towing service? As a Lincoln owner, for the duration of the warranty period, Lincoln Roadside Assistance is there when you need help, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in Canada or the United States. Help is just a toll-free call away.

Emergency Travel Reimbursement

Should your vehicle become disabled due to collision or mechanical breakdown of a component covered under the warranty while you are more than 160 kilometers from your residence address, we will reimburse up to $1000 for reasonable emergency expenses.

Travel Planning Service

Let us help you plan your next road trip! The Travel Planning Service provides a customized, and comprehensive travel package including a choice of the most direct, time saving route to your destination or, for a more leisurely pace, with a scenic route. All you need to do is enjoy your trip!

Lincoln Customer Care. Ask a Lincoln Dealer for more details. Certain conditions and limitations apply.

Can you point me to the website where it says all that about routine maintenance being covered?

Can you point me to the website where it says all that about routine maintenance being covered?

Go to www.ford.ca, then click on Lincoln on the left hand side. When the Lincoln home page loads on the left side there is a scrolling ad. One is about the 6yr/110k warranty and the second is about what warranty covers. The second one is what I cut and pasted above.

Go to www.ford.ca, then click on Lincoln on the left hand side. When the Lincoln home page loads on the left side there is a scrolling ad. One is about the 6yr/110k warranty and the second is about what warranty covers. The second one is what I cut and pasted above.

I think that this must apply to cars in Canada only. I see nothing about this on the Lincoln website (www.lincoln.com). If anyone knows something to the contrary, please let me know. Thanks.