Vibration Right Front

leblancbusa

Hi, I have a 2007 AWD and I've got some vibration issues in the right front wheel. About a year ago I had a similar situation with the left front and they replaced the axle and a bad tie rod. That fixed that problem. Three months ago there was a loud whining noise from the power train and they replaced the transfer case, That fixed that problem. Most recently, I started getting a bad vibration when under moderate acceleration and they replaced the right front axle. That fixed about 90% of the problem and I didn't notice any problem with accelerating in a straight line from a dead stop, but that only lasted about a week. Now, the vibration is back and it's pretty bad while under load - climbing a hill at highway speed, etc. I'm wondering if the transmission is causing this problem? It's weird that it went away with an axle swap. I took it to another mechanic and he said that the tie rods and wheel bearings seem fine. However, I notice a clunking sound with the car parked and I'm moving the steering wheel back and forth about 8" in either direction. It sounds like it's coming from the rack, inner tie rods to me. Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas what it might be. I don't want to keep dumping too much $ into it, but I've had it for 12 years and it's in good condition. Thanks in advance! Brian

I had a similar issue along with nasty torque steer. I changed tires, both axle half shafts and the longer jack shaft and bearing also 4 out 7 motor mounts. 3 alignments at different places, balanced the whells a whole lot of times, it got to the point where my wife didn't want to drive anymore so we switched cars. I took hers to a friend of mine and begged him to take  one last look at everything. While sitting still, he found the steering wheel had too much play but still had resistance, not freeplay, but the steering wheel moved a good 15 degrees. it turns out the inner rubber on both lower control arms had collapsed. It wasn't visible with the car up in the air and there was no rattle as the outer bushing still had some life in it. well $750 later with new lower arms the car rides and drives like new with no torque steer no rattle or thunk when braking or hard acceleration.

Not saying that's what your is but worth a look.

Edited by BAYLENSMAN