Rear camber issue (2013 AWD)

Did the oil change last month and noticed negative camber on both rear wheels. Haven't noticed any other odd wear but now the inner of the tires are down to the belts almost and the outers are almost new.

I could understand one side or the other but it's both sides and the same amount. Is this a common issue?

64572416_2405325646192965_3453742064963944448_n.jpg

Not at all.  But you may need to inspect the lower arms to see if they are worn.  I believe there is a cam adjustment bolt that can be checked and changed as needed, but am not familiar with that setup.

Camber Adjustment — Rear

NOTICE: Before tightening any suspension bushing fasteners, the suspension must be at the bushing fastener tightening position or incorrect clamp load and bushing damage may occur.

NOTE: When making rear alignment adjustments, it is important to know that when adjustments are made to the rear camber the rear toe setting will be affected. Also when adjusting the rear toe the rear camber setting will be affected. It will be necessary to check the rear toe whenever rear camber adjustments are made and to check the rear camber whenever rear toe adjustments are made.

1. Using alignment equipment and the manufacturer's instructions, measure the rear camber.
  1. Loosen the lower arm cam bolt.
  1. Rotate the camber adjustment bolt until the camber setting is within specifications.
  1. NOTICE: Before tightening any suspension bushing fasteners, the weight of the vehicle must be resting on the wheels and tires or incorrect clamp load and bushing damage may occur.

NOTE: Do not allow the camber cam adjuster to rotate while tightening the bolt.

Tighten the lower arm cam bolt to 150 Nm (111 lb-ft).
  1. Recheck the rear camber and toe.
    • Adjust as necessary.

2014 Edge MKX Rear Camber Adjustment.jpg

I just replaced the entire rear suspension on my 2011 Sport. I can tell you that all of the bushings showed wear after 125k miles, and I can tell a ride difference after the upgrades. 

There are two adjustment bolts on each side and the ones in the center of the vehicle on the lower arm pictured above were impossible to get out. They were seized to the bushing sleeve from 8 years of rust and I had to cut them out. This definitely limited the adjustment of them, since I could not turn the bolt, which is required to set the camber. Both outer adjustment bolts were removed without issue. So if you take it in for an alignment, make sure those bolts are not frozen. 

While checking the suspension parts, make sure none of the bushings have excessive play. The sway bar end links tend to go bad and could give you problems as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure the camber is actually off that bad?  The bottom of the body our gen curves in and makes it look like theres a lot of negative camber when there really isnt. Mine appears the same, but actually the wheels are fine (plus it depends on the angle you look from).  How does yours look compared to the front wheels? The front actually should have another -0.10 degrees of camber when compared to the rear.

yXqdmgG.jpg?2

Edited by DaMiFo