Conversion kit for sync 2 to 3 for a 1015

I found the kits from 4dtech and infotainment but $1500 is an awful lot to throw down, does anyone else know where I might be able to find one cheaper? I saw that Tesla one but it looks as if I’d have to buy too many add ons to get the same functionality ie you’d have to purchase steering wheel adapter, sat radio cable and apple/android dongle that doesn’t even neatly install so you’re already back up over $1000 by that point.

Depending on ones comfort level the parts can be had for around $5-600. One would have to do their due diligence etc.  I've seen the APIM w/ navigation and screen go for $3-$375. Thats the bulk of your purchase right there. Everything else are lil additions that are needed. GPS antennae and USB3 hub etc. I may be overlooking something but one can seriously get everything for $5-600 from salvage yards etc. 

Edited by onyxbfly

It's definitely cheaper to do everything yourself. I swapped my '14 for a total of about $550. Nowadays, APIM and display prices have going up a tad - scrap yards definitely see the demand of these things. The USB hub and GPS antenna are only about $40 and $15.

Regardless, even a unit on the high-priced side will be way cheaper than 4DTech tries to charge, even if you include the cost of someone else programming it for you if that's necessary.

My biggest recommendation is to read and do research. Start by reading the "How-To" or intro threads on this kind of swap (that includes threads on other Ford model forums).  Once you read the basics, skim the rest of those threads - they can be long, but you'll see issues people have had and how to avoid or fix them (like get a good quality GPS antenna - some knock-off models have been found to not work).  And if you really can't find an answer after searching, people usually will have an answer if you ask nicely. Most issues have been sorted out by others at this point.

Good luck!!

P.S. At least on the Fusion forums, nearly everyone who uses those cool-looking Tesla-style or Android head units has taken them out of their car after a year or so as they are just a pain and low quality. I'd never recommend one, personally.