On verge of upgrading Sony to Kenwood... what's with front tweeters on dedicated channels?

Not a new topic that someone is is upgrading to Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP.  I'm getting things figured out before I buy all the goodies but I'm stumped on front tweeters.  According the wiring diagram I saw in another post here it seems that the front tweeters are on dedicated channels.  The rear door tweeters are wiring direct from the woofers (similar to what you would see in component set ups.  Are the front tweeter channels that was for a reason?  I will be upgrading all the speakers (except the center dash as that's a delete) and if I wire fronts as component and the rears then I'll save myself 2 channels and might as well go ahead do those rear d pillar tweets while I'm at it.  I'll be running a dedicated amp for the sub (I'll install a new 8" with poly fill to see if it's enough and can always add an additional sub box to the cargo area to the same sub amp if I really want.).  Anyway, staying on topic - what's up with the front tweeters being dedicated channels?  Thanks!

EDIT: Almost decided to delete the rear pillar tweets because they are split (not stereo) but it appears the factory sub is fed 2 channels I'll re-route them to the pillars to get stereo.  Will need to test out that idea to make sure they are true left/right.

Edited by ralfwalter

The front tweeters are on dedicated channels because they are actively crossed over at the factory amp. This also allows for tweeter attenuation in the factory DSP so they they are not overpowering the other speakers. (Tweeters usually have a high sensitivity and don’t require much power.)

Since you are going the DSP route, I would highly recommend keeping the tweeters on their own channel. Passive crossovers have limited levels of tweeter attenuation and if the lowest is too loud, you’re stuck. With the DSP, you can EQ each speaker to sound the same, set the crossovers for optimal sound, and set time alignment so the sound from the tweeter and mid reach your ear at the same time. This allows for better sound quality if that’s you’re end goal. Skip the rear pillar, the rear coaxials will provide plenty rear fill when powered by that Kenwood. 

11 hours ago, truckroot said:

The front tweeters are on dedicated channels because they are actively crossed over at the factory amp. This also allows for tweeter attenuation in the factory DSP so they they are not overpowering the other speakers. (Tweeters usually have a high sensitivity and don’t require much power.)

Since you are going the DSP route, I would highly recommend keeping the tweeters on their own channel. Passive crossovers have limited levels of tweeter attenuation and if the lowest is too loud, you’re stuck. With the DSP, you can EQ each speaker to sound the same, set the crossovers for optimal sound, and set time alignment so the sound from the tweeter and mid reach your ear at the same time. This allows for better sound quality if that’s you’re end goal. Skip the rear pillar, the rear coaxials will provide plenty rear fill when powered by that Kenwood. 

You know I kind of wondered if those tweets might be crossed over at the amp.  I think you are right to recommend keeping them on their own channel.  Bummer about it is that the rear door tweets then must be passively crossed over but I guess that's fine... what I'm looking at has -3db, 0db, +3db so maybe it's ok.  Good call on the suggestion.  I suppose that rules out the extra (maybe useless) effort of throwing in D pillar tweeters.  A little confusing why they are there and why they are summed.  My OCD will hate seeing them knowing they are deleted but I did delete the front center (which, by the way, changes so much for the better).  Thanks so much for chiming in.  I'm hoping the kenwood, new speakers, and my existing alpine to power a sub will be just what the doctor ordered.  Cheers!!

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, ralfwalter said:

Not a new topic that someone is is upgrading to Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP.  I'm getting things figured out before I buy all the goodies but I'm stumped on front tweeters.  According the wiring diagram I saw in another post here it seems that the front tweeters are on dedicated channels.  The rear door tweeters are wiring direct from the woofers (similar to what you would see in component set ups.  Are the front tweeter channels that was for a reason?  I will be upgrading all the speakers (except the center dash as that's a delete) and if I wire fronts as component and the rears then I'll save myself 2 channels and might as well go ahead do those rear d pillar tweets while I'm at it.  I'll be running a dedicated amp for the sub (I'll install a new 8" with poly fill to see if it's enough and can always add an additional sub box to the cargo area to the same sub amp if I really want.).  Anyway, staying on topic - what's up with the front tweeters being dedicated channels?  Thanks!

EDIT: Almost decided to delete the rear pillar tweets because they are split (not stereo) but it appears the factory sub is fed 2 channels I'll re-route them to the pillars to get stereo.  Will need to test out that idea to make sure they are true left/right.

ralfwalter, can you share the post where you saw a wiring diagram for the sound system?  I have the BO system but have no specs on power or wiring.  Thanks!