Paint chip/scratch repair

ThugFordEdge3.5

I have a 2017 ford edge Titanium 3.5L V6 AWD that is white platinum and has only 32,000km. I have a chip type scratch that is deep to the metal. If you take a cigarette filter and cut it in half it would look exactly like that in shape.....maybe slight longer hut not much. For the time being i used ford motorcraft touch up paint pen UG for my exact model but it looks horrible.  I called a paint shop in my city and they want to spot paint the chipped area and then clear coat that whole panel. The scratch/chip is right next to the rear wheel and on the rear door. So I assume they would be clear coating the whole rear door panal after paint the chipped spot. My concern is having that erea look much different than the rest of the SUV because the top coat will be newer and cleaner then the rest of the vehicle. Plus the touch up paint is exactly the same paint already on the SUV but it looks grey and not white like the rest of the SUV.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get this fixed the best way that will look great? Besides having to remove all the paint on the vehicle and painting the whole thing. Has anyone had this type of fix where the scratch got painted and then the whole panel got clear coated? Where I live in Canada we have tons of road salt in the winter and this open metal will rust quickly. For now that pen paint is gonna help for rust. 

2 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

I have a 2017 ford edge Titanium 3.5L V6 AWD that is white platinum and has only 32,000km. I have a chip type scratch that is deep to the metal. If you take a cigarette filter and cut it in half it would look exactly like that in shape.....maybe slight longer hut not much. For the time being i used ford motorcraft touch up paint pen UG for my exact model but it looks horrible.  I called a paint shop in my city and they want to spot paint the chipped area and then clear coat that whole panel. The scratch/chip is right next to the rear wheel and on the rear door. So I assume they would be clear coating the whole rear door panal after paint the chipped spot. My concern is having that erea look much different than the rest of the SUV because the top coat will be newer and cleaner then the rest of the vehicle. Plus the touch up paint is exactly the same paint already on the SUV but it looks grey and not white like the rest of the SUV.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get this fixed the best way that will look great? Besides having to remove all the paint on the vehicle and painting the whole thing. Has anyone had this type of fix where the scratch got painted and then the whole panel got clear coated? Where I live in Canada we have tons of road salt in the winter and this open metal will rust quickly. For now that pen paint is gonna help for rust. 

They would need to respray the door to make it look right.   I did a similar repair myself on our White Platinum Edge (2008) and it turned out great.

Go to paintscratch.com and get a touch up kit that includes the base coat, mid coat and clear coat (small spray cans) plus rubbing compound, etc.

Sand just the area you touched up.  Then mask it off and spray the base coat until that area is filled in and level with the rest of the paint.  Might take several coats for a deep chip.  Sand smooth with 4000 grit wet sandpaper.  Then expose a larger area at least 4-6 inches all around and spray another base coat lightly to blend with the good paint.   Feather the paint towards the outside and stop before you get to the masking so you don't leave a line.  Then do the same with the mid coat and 2-3 coats of clearcoat.   Let it dry at least 24 hours and use the rubbing compound to blend it.

Worst case if you mess up they'll just respray the door anyway.

• Like 1