Backup Camera Install into FACTORY Nav Unit!!

early on, when the new in Ford emblem camera was announced, I was one of the first to theorize that you would be able to retro fit the new emblem/camera onto older models.. even made a thread about it. but, I was to impatient to wait around for them to start to sell them as parts.

seems I was right :)

BUT I never saw you do a write up here on it.

did you use the same box I used to convert the signal to be used on your navi head unit?

how much was the emblem camera?

any pictures of the install?

I used the Ford Lockpick, I purchased the Ford camera with the emblem off Ebay for $145.00. I also purchased a new liftgate moulding since it had to be cut out for the camera to fit and did not want to mess up the one that was on the car. I think it turned out pretty good, I wish the liftgate moulding was more flat instead of having the raised line running thru the center then the camera housing would have fit purfectly. I am surprised Ford did not make this available for the Edge.

Interesting. I wonder where they place the camera on an MKX since it obviously is not equipped with a Ford emblem? Guess I need to look at some.

look into a Boyo or XO vision license plate camera. you can get them with night vision and great CCD cams and you can angle them as you want. just bolts on into existing 4 holes.

a license plate cam will be the easiest to install and place. the only real fear is that is "could" be stolen if someone notices it. BUT, that can be countered with a few hex head security license plate screws you can buy at an automotive store.

I was going to do an XO Vision plate cam, I ended up selling it here, as I did that cam you see in my post. But I admit, the license plate cam would have been way easier BUT I have a killer bike chain license plate bracket - I am an avid cyclist - so I wanted that so could not do a license plate cam.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I used the Ford Lockpick, I purchased the Ford camera with the emblem off Ebay for $145.00. I also purchased a new liftgate moulding since it had to be cut out for the camera to fit and did not want to mess up the one that was on the car. I think it turned out pretty good, I wish the liftgate moulding was more flat instead of having the raised line running thru the center then the camera housing would have fit purfectly. I am surprised Ford did not make this available for the Edge.

er65nsunny, How is the Ford Lockpick working for you?

Yes, I am assuming you had to run wires and there were not factory rear camera wires there.

Yes I had to remove the rear hatch interior panel and ran the wires on the passenger side. I just removed the door weatherstrip along the top and pushed the wires into the headliner. I also removed the passenger side front pillar moulding and ran the wires to the radio. I purchased the camera harness for the Lockpick which plugs iinto the radio unit.

• Like 1

Yes I had to remove the rear hatch interior panel and ran the wires on the passenger side. I just removed the door weatherstrip along the top and pushed the wires into the headliner. I also removed the passenger side front pillar moulding and ran the wires to the radio. I purchased the camera harness for the Lockpick which plugs iinto the radio unit.

Thank you for the information.

• 3 months later...

Tomorrow at 9 a.m. I am taking my '08 Ford Edge Limited in to a pro installer to have them put in the AV Electronic unit, tying into the factory nav unit, as well as a Sony XA-R800C rear view camera. I am a little nervous. For a little bit, I thought about trying to do it myself, but I shudder at the thought of sitting there, lost, realizing I am in way over my head. I hope these guys know what they are doing. :whew:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I also have a 2010 Edge limited that has the nav screen. Installed a camera that works (Tested with a separate monitor) but we can't get the system to turn on the function. Dealer said no, can't, won.t, no...... I'm pretty sure that it is possible. Have the video interface that goes directly into the nav unit. Thru forscan, I changed what I thought would be the change (APIM 7D01-01 X*XX-XXX-XXX Changed the astrix to a 2, and an a. Both did nothing. Please help.....