Cargo Carrier and Exhaust burn?

Hi Everyone,

A problem I ran into with my Escape and it appears it will be the same with the Edge is exhaust melting gear on a hitch mounted cargo carrier. Because the after market hitches hang under the bumper it places your gear directly in the path of the heat. On the net I found many people recommend putting a turn down tip on the exhaust, but doesn't that affect the performance? The only time I really use this is when I am traveling a great distance so I would hate to put a turn down tip on for such limited use. I think that would look silly and then would require me to have two sets of tips to change out. That sounds expensive. Has anyone else came up with a solution for this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

exhaust melting gear on a hitch mounted cargo carrier.

Wow! I hadn't even considered this possibility. I'm really glad you posted, as I am about to buy a hitch mounted cargo system/trunk.

I've been wanting to get this (which I've seen sold under a different name as well, I forget where): http://www.hidden-hitches.com/basket_carriers3.htm

Now I'm worried that the exhaust might damage the carrier. Does anyone else have a system like this for use on their Edge (or other vehicle with this potential problem I suppose), and have any feedback?

I could rivet a plate of something like .063 aluminum onto the cargo trunk itself where the exhaust would hit, I suppose. I'd hate to have to modify something new and expensive though (for warranty issues), and there would be no guarantee that it would work well anyway.

TIA

• 4 weeks later...
The easier thing would be to drill a few holes in the heat shiled and then simply attach it to the cargo frame with stainless wire. I actually think that thick tie wraps would work just fine. Good luck. Either one of thse option would not require any permanent mod to your cargo system.

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I ended up doing. Compared to my Escape where I really had the problem the dual exhaust cools the temp quite a bit and this heat shield that I added only cost me about 25 bucks. It did a great job of diverting the exhaust. I was concerned that the shield may cause an issue with the bumper while idling or in traffic but no issues. I hope this helps.

Mark

post-3954-1222646778_thumb.jpg

post-3954-1222646803_thumb.jpg

post-3954-1222646823_thumb.jpg

post-3954-1222646983_thumb.jpg

post-3954-1222647002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mystery

• 4 years later...