WTF??? SEL+ speaker woes..

Apparently, the folks who owned my Edge before me (I've had for 3 weeks) decided to yank out the nav and replace it with the 6 Disc Changer. The radio is (I'm guessing, after 2 trips to the local Ford Service Dept) not sending the signal to the amp, although the amp has power. We have had a new sub ordered/ installed and that didn't fix it. Then we had a new 6 disc changer installed and that didn't fix it. :banghead: Ford ran the VIN and that's how we discovered that the raido is not the one that came with it, therefore, they will not touch it (under warranty, that is). They said that they would "do some research" and see if that radio will work the sub....Any suggestions on how I can just tap into a wire or two and BAM!...there's bass?

You can get a copy of the window sticker to check what it originally had, but the NAV - HAS a 6 disk changer.

*Check the plugs where the wiring harness plugs into the AMP*! <---- A good mechanic would realize that it's just basic troubleshooting.

I know. The very night we brought it home, I realized that there was noooo bass. I took the rear quarter panel out, took the sub enclosure out and did some tests on the wires to the amp. It is getting power and the back of the radio has 2 harnesses, both are plugged in. By the way, that's the easiest dash removal ever. When my wife came into the garage and saw parts everywhere, she nearly fainted. :redcard: . I appreciate your help. I'm just baffled that the Dealer can't "program" the radio.

It's simple - the standard radio does not come with a subwoofer so it has no sub outputs in the wiring harness, even if the harness is the same. The Nav unit was the audiophile version. You need an audiophile head unit (with or without nav if that's an option) to get the amp outputs.

It's simple - the standard radio does not come with a subwoofer so it has no sub outputs in the wiring harness, even if the harness is the same. The Nav unit was the audiophile version. You need an audiophile head unit (with or without nav if that's an option) to get the amp outputs.

I take it that the Audiophile one looks the exact same as the regular 6 d/MP3 radio, just with a third connector on the back? If so, there's a couple on ebay for around 125 bucks, I'll get one.

:banghead: Ok....after tinkering tonight and pulling out the radio, it DOES have all 3 connectors...but before reinstalling, I didn't see if all of the radio side connectors had all the pins that go into the 3 connectors. I did figure out that the smallest connector has all 8 pins on the radio, but only 4 are used in the harness, one of which controls the str whl controls. Ugh, I don't want to spend 120 bucks on ebay only to get the same exact radio and have no sub playing..

Oh yeah, i held down the 3 and 6 buttons, LF, RF, LR and RR were all that it scrolled through during testing....no sub check :huh:

Edited by DJ Nap

the sub connecctor only has 4 wires , left right common and turn on @ 5 v

one of the wires coming out of it was raw, meaning no coating, is this normal? Also, it is possible that although the radio is connected to that particular harness it doesn't send te signal out to the sub?

one of the wires coming out of it was raw, meaning no coating, is this normal? Also, it is possible that although the radio is connected to that particular harness it doesn't send te signal out to the sub?

I believe that wire is the shielding wire for the wires going to the sub. If the radio you have is not set up for the sub then there is nothing you can do about it other than buy a new radio. Sorry for the bad news.

I believe that wire is the shielding wire for the wires going to the sub. If the radio you have is not set up for the sub then there is nothing you can do about it other than buy a new radio. Sorry for the bad news.

If I buy one off of ebay, how will I know that it is programmed to have a sub? Is there a certain model #?

You need one that came with the audiophile, those have the subs. I actually have on out of my edge, i bought a nav off of ebay. I dont want to sell it but when i get a chance i can get you the module number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-07...MP3-AUDIOPHILE-

RADIO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43947QQihZ006QQitemZ160277706051QQrdZ1QQsspagen

ameZWDVW

Try that link. There is atleast 1 on sale on ebay right now.

You need one that came with the audiophile, those have the subs. I actually have on out of my edge, i bought a nav off of ebay. I dont want to sell it but when i get a chance i can get you the module number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-07...MP3-AUDIOPHILE-

RADIO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43947QQihZ006QQitemZ160277706051QQrdZ1QQsspagen

ameZWDVW

Try that link. There is atleast 1 on sale on ebay right now.

Thanks for your help! :yup:

if the radio has the connector than the sub will work as long as it is plugged in in the back as well.

I have 3 connectors on the back, all of which are plugged in. There are no unused harnesses behind the radio. The sub fuse is good and the wiring to the amp/sub is connected. If all the harnesses are plugged in and I do the 3 & 6 button test, why doesn't the sub get checked? From what I understand in here is that I have a plain ole 6 disc/mp3 radio that is not an audiophile one.....which is what I need.

the radio is sub capable if it has the plug . sounds like you need to follow the wires down the pass sideboard and see if they are cut somewhere. or just grab both ends and do a continuity test with a dmm

I appreciate your help. I will try this tomorrow. I....need.....BASS!!! :rockon: