Harder to stop in reverse - what could that mean?

bb56

Hi All,

In the matter of squishy or soft brake pedals, has anyone noticed that stopping in reverse is a lot harder than going forward? 

My 2011 Edge is suffering from the soft/low/squishy brake pedal issue and I have to really push hard to stop it while backing out of my garage. The pedal goes pretty far down too. The booster does not make any noise at all.

I did a complete brake bleed (not ABS Service bleed) yesterday but it didn't change anything. I did notice a lot of air coming out of the left rear caliper and thought 'This should fix it!) But it didn't.  It makes me thing something is going on with the rear brakes but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. The emergency brake goes pretty far down when I park but holds the car still. 

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to approach? I'm thinking about replacing the master cylinder - maybe the plunger for the rear is leaking?  I don't know - just thinking out loud.

Thanks.