2018 2.0 6F35 Trans feels weird after fluid change

colinc755

So I recently bought a 2018 Ford Edge 2.0 AWD with 38000 miles on the ODO in a private party sale, when the vehicle got to 40000 I did a PTU fluid change, oil change, and a Trans fluid change. The PTU fluid change went well and well ...oil changes are kind of hard to screw up, but something is off about the trans now after changing the fluid. I followed the Ford factory manual point for point and used official Motorcraft Mercon LV. When I did the change, I even hooked up a VCM-II clone with IDS to make sure that the trans temp was correct for checking the fluid level. The fluid I changed was dark after 40000 miles but it still had a chemical smell and there were no visible contaminants. After all of this however, the trans feels a lot weaker. When I am shifting into reverse it is rougher and there is a little flutter in the revs sometimes (especially when cold), and I have noticed that it is not as easy to get the vehicle up to high speeds off the line. It feels as if when I get to 60mph that's all the powertrain has left. I have also noticed at lower speeds it has some flutters and seems more indecisive in shifting. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with these issues, I have a hard time imagining that I could have messed it up taking all the precautions I did, following the factory guide. I have never heard of a trans fluid change having this much of an impact on a vehicle with miles as low as this. Are these issues maybe something that will be ironed out with time? (I have only driven 200 miles since the change). Besides the issues with power the shifts in drive are perfectly smooth and there are no red flags there. It is just alarming to me because this vehicle is starting to feel like the Ford Escape that I dumped for it (funny enough both cars have the same trans) but the escape had 120000 on the odo before the trans felt anything like this. I was hoping that the 6F35 would be all sorted by the 2018 model year, another thing to mention is that the previous owner did already get the recall service done on the trans. If anyone has any experience or feedback that would be much appreciated, I believe it is still under powertrain warranty so I may look into that but I would rather not if it is a small thing. Thanks for any replies! 

Update: Everything has sorted itself out, I would delete the post but I cannot find a way to do that. 

Edited by colinc755

I am guessing that it was a general mix of conditions that caused the lack of power that I was experiencing. The climate I am in has snapped out of a cold and rainy spring into a 95 degree oven overnight. The vehicle has had to have the A/C cranked pretty high which can be a bottleneck on most vehicles. Not to mention that turbochargers tend to like colder air for more efficiency. The other thing I have noticed is that this edge really doesn't like lower amounts of fuel, when it gets to below a 1/4th a tank the car does not respond the same as a full tank. I am curious if this has something to do with the high pressure injection system required by GDI or maybe this is just how a lot of vehicles are. If I am being honest I let my fears of the 6F35 get the best of me and I should have considered all of these factors before making a post. I have been behind the wheel of a vehicle that has lost its transmission and now I think that I am too quick to assume the worst. The one thing I do have which is a solid transmission quirk is the rougher 2-3 shift, but from what I read that is almost normal for the 6F35 so I don't think it should be of too much concern. I am curious to know if anyone else on the forum has this in their edge. My girlfriend's Escape also has a 6F35 with the 1.5 Eco and her's seems to shift a lot smoother than mine so its hard to know what to think. I have read posts online about people feeling that Ford put the 6F35 in vehicles that are too big to handle this smaller transmission, the Explorer folks really don't seem to like this transmission. I do wonder about the long term life of this transmission, but its already in my driveway so there's nothing to do now but maintain it I guess. I just hope that the ford engineers made the right call by making the 6F35 apart of this powertrain.