Airbag removal (adaptive steering model)

Hi,

I need to remove the airbag from my '17 Edge Sport to replace the left switch assembly. All guides I found on the net (mostly for fusion, but the wheel seems identical) are referring to a hole on the bottom part of the wheel, where you have to push a screwdriver to have the bag cover popping off. Unfortunately my Edge does not have any hole for this, and I had no luck searching the forum.

Is there some secret spot to unlock the airbag?

Edited by papinist
  • Thanks 1

It almost looks like you're going to need to take the 2 torx screws out of the bottom of steering column...might be a tx20 or tx25.  After that there are screw holes that at the back of steering wheel which appear to be holding the back cover on.   Im sure once you get to that point you'll see more of what you're looking for 

Thank you for your reply. I already removed the steering column bottom cover, but can't see how to go on now. Better if I post some pictures:

This is the wheel type I'm referring to:

IMG_20200723_185945.jpg

I found a youtube video explaining how to remove the Fusion steering wheel, that is identical (but without the plastic 'square' at the bottom of the wheel)

IMG_20200728_101650.jpg

It refers to this hole that should be found on the bottom:

2020-07-23-191500.jpg

unfortunately my wheel is different there:

IMG-20200723-185843.jpg

IMG-20200723-185837.jpg

That black plastic seems to not be a cover but the actual wheel, i.e. not removable.

IMG_20200723_185848.jpg

IMG_20200723_185904_1.jpg

So I removed the steering column cover

IMG_20200723_185929_1.jpg

It seems that european Edge have only one screw there..

but even without the cover, I can't see anything useful:

IMG_20200728_101555.jpg

IMG_20200728_101604_1.jpg

a small screw is vibile here, but not reachable

IMG_20200728_101620.jpg

another couple of screws, but not useful

(I found another video that has the steering wheel already out, with these screws still installed)

IMG_20200728_101641_1.jpg

It sounds a bit strange that there are no threads\infos about removing the steering wheel... ?

The last picture shows the screw i was talking about.  If that comes out then that back plastic piece on the steering wheel should come off.  Then you should possibly see the release for the airbag.  Also the only way to get the steering wheel off is the bolt behind the airbag

You need to also remove the top steering column cover to expose the other torx screw. See the attache procedures. You don't need to remove the Airbag.

For information, the 2016-2018 Edge Sport has an adaptive steering, so removing the Airbag is slightly different. The holes for removing the Airbag (same location) are covered. You would need to make slits to the steering wheel trim at the same location where they would be. You would know if it was removed or not earlier. I know this because my 2016 Sport first had the driver Airbag recall (replacement), so the dealer had to make the slits. Then I had the Adaptive Steering wheel recall (also replaced). So now the slits are gone. Good as new.

Steering Column Shrouds.pdf

Steering Column Multifunction Switch RH.pdf

Steering Column Multifunction Switch LH.pdf

Edit: This Fusion Video I think is clearer:

Edited by omar302

Thank you both for the replies!

I lnow that there is the adaptive steering stuff so I imagined that it could be the reason of the different removal method.

However the switch assembly I need to replace is the one on the steering wheel, not the one behind it:

IMG-20200723-162614.jpg

so I need to remove the airbag to access the inside of the wheel.

@omar302 do you have the service procedure pdf for removing the airbag? I don't have slits but don't think they did any recall on this car (I got that used). Maybe the '17 was already fixed during production.

Thanks!

EDIT: just found a youtube video about adaptive steering, showing the inside of the wheel:

2020-07-29-101440.jpg

It seems that the lower 'hook' is missing (due to the a.s. motor) ant that there are two hooks on each side. You probably need to make the slits only there. 

A better look here, from a '17 f250

img-8823-1-4644df79bc998d05214ba7c783413

the two big 'holes' on the side seems the place to insert something from the back and push the metal clips.

Edited by papinist

6 hours ago, papinist said:

@omar302 do you have the service procedure pdf for removing the airbag? I don't have slits but don't think they did any recall on this car (I got that used). Maybe the '17 was already fixed during production.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't. All I have is for the 2015. Courtesy of https://www.mactgarage.com/.

For the recall, there were two. Airbag & steering wheel. If the did the steering wheel recall after the airbag, which they should have, then the new steering wheel wouldn't have the slits because they are only required for removal.

After I bought this car I visited an official ford dealer, and the guy printed its maintenace history. There was a recall for an ECU update and nothing else. Also, he told me that there was a pending recall for the trunk (sometimes it opens randomly ? ) but that if I haven't had problems, they won't replace it ..

So it's really hard to guess where to make those slits without a guide.. I don't want to make a mess :)

BTW, where could I look for recalls for my specified car? I remember that they should also be on owners.ford.com but I have nothing there.

19 hours ago, papinist said:

So it's really hard to guess where to make those slits without a guide.. I don't want to make a mess :)

BTW, where could I look for recalls for my specified car? I remember that they should also be on owners.ford.com but I have nothing there.

Sorry, can't help with the slits. Couldn't find where I had read it before.

For the steering wheel recall, it was actually a satisfaction recall, only those built between June 25, 2014 and September 14, 2016.

Also, the program seems to have had an expiry date on 29/02/2020. https://ford.oemdtc.com/4337/satisfaction-program-19b04-steering-wheel-replacement-2015-2016-ford-edge-2016-lincoln-mkx

Update after a long time: some time ago a very kind guy sent me the service manual pages with the airbag removal procedure for models with adaptive steering.

If someone needs this, is attached to this message. It's in italian, but the procedure is very well explained with pictures.

ford service - Sistema di sicurezza supplementare - Airbag lato guida - Veicoli con Sterzo adattivo.pdf

• Like 2